Leeson single phase motor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuubaadoo

Reaction score
Got my Poseidon compressor home. I knew I would have to switrch motors as I don't have 220v 3phase. I am looking at 2 different motors. 1 is a Leeson 5 SPL hp 15 amp, split phase, at $170. The other is a Leeson 5hp single phase 15 amp for $270.00 what does the extra $100.00 get me. Also the unit is rated at 6.5 or 7.9, I assume depending on the motor used would you go for the larger motor.

Also the unit has a sticker that says drain every 10 minutes, so I am assuming no auto drain, what is the cost of auto drain.

Got my Poseidon compressor home. I knew I would have to switrch motors as I don't have 220v 3phase. I am looking at 2 different motors. 1 is a Leeson 5 SPL hp 15 amp, split phase, at $170. The other is a Leeson 5hp single phase 15 amp for $270.00 what does the extra $100.00 get me. Also the unit is rated at 6.5 or 7.9, I assume depending on the motor used would you go for the larger motor.

Also the unit has a sticker that says drain every 10 minutes, so I am assuming no auto drain, what is the cost of auto drain.

You don't want a split phase motor on a "hard to start" application like a compressor.

Read this link Leeson Single Phase Electric Motor characteristics and applications

Good luck,

Tobin

Give me the part numbers for each motor and I'll look in my Leeson specs book or you can go to Leesons site and look the info up yourself.

As far as the auto drain is concerned, does your unit have a mag starter? Are the ratings FAD and SCFM/fill rate? Most machines have two rating that are different numbers.

Craig

I guess your right Craig I'll go to the Leeson website. But it may be moot if Tobin doesn't think a split phase is a good choice for $100.00 I can live with that. As for the mag start I am waiting for them to send me the manual, they found it 1/2 hour after I left go figure. I has a on/off button. I am waiting for the guys at Poseidon to call me back. They are going to walk me through the various parts of the compressor.

BTW any preferred choice of oil, Poseidon says they only use synthetic. I will wait to get the manual for specs on filter.

Thanks for the help.

Where did you find the motors that cheap?
Leeson Motor from Ebay

What size is the current motor? Are there different speeds available?

Be prepared to move the electrical box to the back of the motor, and the mounting holes will probably have to be hogged out. The pulley will probably not fit either. Most likely someone with a lathe can fix that issue though.

I purchased Nuvair 455 for oil, but we have a Max-Air 90CE3 and plan to bank nitrox.

I spoke to leeson they no longer make that motor. My choice is a 5hp that draws about 22 amps or a 7.5hp that draws about 30 amps, both single phase. My problem is that I think I am limited to 20 amps on the panel. BTW Jim over at compressor_team is pushing Baldor motor over Leeson, does any one have any preference either way?

would you recommend the cap start/ cap run motor. Seriously I'm thinking gas engine at this point, to hell with finding a motor for this thing. And if I put wheels on this it would be a great "portable" compressor, ha ha.

We measured the 7.5hp motor out at 100+ amps for a second on start up, then it drops to 22.5 amps no load. At 5,000 psi it goes up to 26 amps. The wiring requirements are pretty substantial as is the breaker, for these larger single phase motors. 20 amps is NOT going to cut it. You are going to have to find more power! The factor is 1.25 times more than the rated maximum.

Motor brand I have no experience on. I went with the most cost effective unit I could find. For a personal compressor the one I bought is overkill...but it was cheap.

would you recommend the cap start/ cap run motor

A 20 amp 240 service is the real problem. 4800 watts is only about 6.4 hp (1 hp =746 watts) This assumes 100% efficiency, and ignores starting requirements.

You need more amps.

As an alternative to single phase motors you may want to investigate Variable Frequency Drives that accept single phase input power and output 3 phase.

VFD's are not cheap, but some of the cost is offset by allowing the use of much cheaper 3 phase motors.

In addition VFD's can be programmed to "ramp" the RPM on startup, reducing the peak amperage required.

Selecting and installing a VFD is not a trivial task, but the VFD manufacturer's often offer very good application assistance.

Google VFD's and talk to a supplier.

Tobin

Check the frame number on the old motor that is on that now, and try to match that as that will fit the same mounting holes you now have, also will be the same shaft size for pulley, check RPM's should be 3400 to 3600. A 5 HP motor is usally for a 5 CFM and a 7.5 HP is for a 7 or 8 CFM compressor. Need to confirm what CFM compressor you have and that will firm up what motor to use. Also ask at what RPM the compressor should run at so you can confirm what pully you need for motor, probaly the one you now have is OK but confirm it. As to oil, synthetic is what you want, most people I know use a brand called CF 1000 or CF-2000 for Nitrox fills, CHEERS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom