Want to help me buy a car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
If it's just the windshield, you can get an aftermarket replacement for a few hundred bucks as long as it doesn't have defroster wires embedded it in (some Fords have them). You might be able to even negotiate its replacement as part of the deal, or at least get a price break so you can get one on your own.

Yep, you're right it has the defoster in the windshield. I do really like the car..my doubts are not with the car..as much as did I get the best price?~~ and can I live with the dings...

I love my Subaru outback!!!! I trade every 2 years or so. Have had 3 of them and they have all been great!. If you take good care of a Subaru it will last forever. And it tends to keep its value really well, also. Been driving Subarus since 1990. Before that it was a Nissan and before that it was a Ford.

Natasha:
I do really like the car..my doubts are not with the car..as much as did I get the best price?

Go to kbb.com (the Kelly Blue Book website), enter your zip code, and price out an identically equipped car. Use all three pricing models: Trade In, Private Party, and Retail Used.

You should try to aim for the Private Party price unless they can show you some "added value" such as an extended warranty (try to go with Ford's own if you can, much easier especially if you relocate or have to use a different dealer) or something like a windshield replacement.

You should also try to price out a new 2007 model using the same website, to make sure the dealer isn't asking too much and to see what your savings are vs. buying new.

Natasha:
OK it's a V6 and they bought it at an auction. So I still need the car fax on it.
It does come with the remaining 36,000 mile warranty.

I'm not as sure about it as the night goes on.
The dingy's on the windshield are small but still a drag. I do love how it handles though..
I don't know what to do..

You can buy a whole new windshield for about $300.

Windshields are like tires. They are easily replaced.

I would not worry about this too much, if you see a car that you like which is pre-owned.

RonDawg:
In one post, you tell Natasha that neither the Altima nor the Fusion make a good scuba vehicle, and recommend an SUV instead.

Yet in this one, you say that the Beetle makes a good one because it holds enough gear for exactly ONE person :confused: I'm not sure how that makes the Beetle a better dive vehicle than the Altima or the Fusion.

Without visiting a Ford, Nissan, and VW dealership with a tape measure, I would venture to say that both the Altima and the Fusion have bigger and more easily accessible trunks. As I stated in my post, my Altima will hold enough dive gear for at least two, three if you don't carry tanks. The Fusion will probably be similar.

The issue was affordable German cars. That's why.

RonDawg:
I have a 2003 Altima V-6 and really like it. The only problem I had was the battery died rather early, and had to have it towed to Nissan for repair (thought it was an alternator problem). The battery was already beyond warranty so I had to buy a new one, but other than standard maintenance items that's the only expense I've had.

I like the new Altima coupe but at $31k fully loaded I won't be trading in anytime soon. My car has everything except leather, automatic, Bose, and Xenon, and sticker was $25.5, and I got it for even less despite the fact that I also financed it through a special offer with Nissan.

As far as the comment that it makes a poor dive vehicle...disagree. The trunk is big enough for two divers with single tanks, three divers if you don't carry tanks. And it handles far better than any SUV or pickup, and won't make you cry at the pump either. Despite being a V-6, because I bought the stick shift version I can see 30 MPG on the open road if I don't use the A/C. Not bad for 245 horsepower.

Road cars such as you have described really do not make good scuba vehicles, and the SUVs are much superior, indeed.

But Nastasia has already indicated that she is not looking for an ideal scuba vehicle, so you need not belabor this point with further debate.

nereas:
Road cars such as you have described really do not make good scuba vehicles, and the SUVs are much superior, indeed.

But Nastasia has already indicated that she is not looking for an ideal scuba vehicle, so you need not belabor this point with further debate.

I was pointing out why you bash sedans on their scuba carrying abilities, yet you say the VW Beetle makes a good scuba vehicle even if its trunk is only big enough for ONE person's gear :confused:

While Natasha isn't concerned about carrying scuba gear, I do question your logic in this regard.

nereas:
The issue was affordable German cars. That's why.

A VW Golf or Rabbit is affordable and is far more suitable as a dive vehicle than a Beetle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom