Want to help me buy a car?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonDawg:
I guess you missed the part about "getting it looked at by a mechanic" and "don't rely on CarFax alone" and "look up the various values on kbb.com" :rolleyes:

Ron this is good advice. Thanks. However it's not that easy. My local mechanic wants 100.00 to look at a car and has a 2 to 3 day wait time to even get in to see him. That means going somewhere else, to someone I am not at all familiar with.

Also is it really needed when a car has only 21,000 miles? I know you'll probably say better 'safe then sorry'..but it just isn't that easy to do when you're working with a car dealer instead of a private party.

I am going to look at kbb.com now . Thanks again!

Teamcasa:
Natasha, Take it from a car dealer. Picking a car is a very personal thing. Test drive every car in your price range. You would be surprised how some cars fit and others just don’t. Buying at the end of the month is a good plan. As for quality, trust me they are all good and they generally outlast your desire to own them. Maintenance is important. Get it done regularly.

Dave

Dave:
Did I read that first line right? You are, or were, a car dealer?

Natasha:
Ron this is good advice. Thanks. However it's not that easy. My local mechanic wants 100.00 to look at a car and has a 2 to 3 day wait time to even get in to see him. That means going somewhere else, to someone I am not at all familiar with.

Also is it really needed when a car has only 21,000 miles? I know you'll probably say better 'safe then sorry'..but it just isn't that easy to do when you're working with a car dealer instead of a private party.

$100 is cheap insurance considering you're buying a $17k car. Just because it has "only" 21,000 miles doesn't mean it doesn't already have problems. It could have very well been "unloaded" by its first owner who thought it was a lemon. Warranties are of little consolation when your car spends more time in the shop than in your own garage, and you're afraid to take it on a long trip and/or afraid to put your family in it because it's so unreliable.

How is your state in regards to divulging certain things about the car? In CA, it is state law for the dealer to divulge to you if the car is an ex-rental, ex-police, ex-taxi, salvaged (to include flood damaged), lemon law buy-back, dealer demonstrator or loaner, and several other things. If your state isn't like this, then the inspection is even more important.

If getting to the mechanic is a problem, see if the dealer will give you a money back guarantee within a certain time and mileage restriction. Don't laugh, some used car dealers do this already. If they say yes, just make sure it's in writing.

Natasha:
Dave:
Did I read that first line right? You are, or were, a car dealer?

Yep, I am a new car dealer.

Dave

Teamcasa:
Yep, I am a new car dealer.

Dave

Well, Dear Dave. How about some solid tips? What type of dealership do you own? If it's Hummer..or something you don't want to say here..how about we take it to the Pms? :winky:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom