Want To Dive Venice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't find as many as I usually do, maybe 30 or so, But I don't think I've ever dove there and not found any teeth. Finding teeth at Alhambra is almost a given.

sharkboy1515:
has anyone else here been fossil diving elsewhere?

Cooper River and Calvert Cliffs, both are really really dark, Venice is much nicer all around

Actually, the paper reported today that the red tide seemed to be lessening. I hope it's not just here. This was reported out of Englewood.

It was pretty clear out at the beach today.. I went out to check on the sail boat and the air was clear and the water was very clear... I should have had gear with me to jump in and check under the boat and see how everything looks.

i wish i could come down and dive now... although waiting 5 more months wont hurt since i have been already waiting for 2 1/2 years now... I dont live too close to any fossil land or diving sites...

ReefGuy:
Actually, the paper reported today that the red tide seemed to be lessening. I hope it's not just here. This was reported out of Englewood.

That's great. I'm thinking of going out in the morning again. If I do, I'll post again on the conditions.

Those that did winter diving at Venice might want to do some expectation management for sharkboy1515.

I only went 4-5 times from NOV05 - FEB06, but every time I went, the vis was bad, even for Venice. This last winter there was a cloudy suspension in the water, kind of like when you get down to the grey clay and stir it up, except, the current didn't do anything to clear the water. If I was just unlucky, then that is one thing, but Venice locals might want to clue him in on winter conditions overall. I don't mind even 2-5' vis at Venice, but every time I was over there this winter it was near 0'. At the Thanksgiving bash, I couldn't even see my gauges without putting them to my mask. Also, there is a lot of gravel in the fossil beds so that it is difficult to hunt by touch.

I am fairly new (1 year) to the VB dive and I don't know if it has been the same in past winters, but you may want to do some contingency planning - Peace river (and many of the spring runs) are decent for fossiling in the winter although you prob won't need scuba, and they're not necessarily good for med/large shark teeth. The good news is the gators are less active when you're coming!

Regardless, drop a line nearer to when you're coming and I'm sure you can hook up with someone from the board with a good dive.

I would love to check the Cooper river and off the Carolina coasts. I've heard the teeth are huge and fairly plentiful. I envy you your chance to go there.

Clovis, each year we have a camping trip and fossiling expedition with Mark Renz in Arcadia. If you're interested, join us next time (I missed the last one, but plan on being there for the next). Usually around April.

Thanks for the invite Reef Guy. I kid around with Mark when we encounter him and I have corresponded with him via e mail often to compare finds, but I have never actually gone on a trip with him. He usually has clients with him. He has a great sense of humor it sounds like fun.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom