Vytek vs NiTek3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Divesherpa
I'm gonna wait until I can download MP3's and jam on deco using the VR3. That's the next logical step, right?
Now we're cookin'! Any manufacturers on the board that can take this and run with it? Maybe Apple could get into the dive computer market. They make a sweet MP3...

For those who have seen/used/own the VR3...

From the picture, I cannot make out what the user interface for this unitis. So how do you make your settings/changes? Buttons? Touch screen? Telepathy?

Also, how easy is the screen to read (aka contrast, number size, etc) and is the display layout easy to understand at a glance?

There are 2 almost rod like buttons on the unit. This is the one area that would be nice with big gloves, but seems easy to accidentally activate.

Hello to all

I just returned from a week of cave diving in FL. Two of my friends from England I dove with have the VR3, and I can tell you the display size blows away the Nitek3. My biggest complaint to Lamar at Dive Rite was that the deco display was to small to read. The clock & date are large but the important stuff is too small. Also I did not like the unit resetting itself at midnight.
The VR3 has large numbers and the buttons to operate required a firm (but not to firm) push to make the changes, so I do not think accidental changes would occur. Most of my diving involves deco so the easy to read part is important to me. The price is also a lot more reasonable.

Just my 2 cents

Dive safe

Kvdivr
Salem NH:)

I agree the display on the NItek is a bit small (I used one for many years), but you think the VR3 is acceptable??
It may be fine for some 20 something with perfect vision but I think the display is way too small(It has to be at least 50% larger..), the buttons consistantly stick,and there appears to be a computational problem when in PO2 mode and your calculated PO2 for you diluent is used rather than the setpoint...

For Mix I'll take the Explorer hands down over the VR3 (I own both new VR3 and explorer) for Nitrox/Air-only the Cohran commander is also a better choice.

have you thought about perscription masks padiscubapro? I think the VR3 display is great - and much better than the nitek, can't comment about the explorer

Jonathan

Wow
???
I did not notice any of that. Could it be there is an upgrade or new model? They were real impressed with the versatility even being able to set additional gases underwater after the dive has started.
My friends just got theirs in England and the deco display numbers were huge even for these old eyes. Not sure if you are using yours in salt water (as far as the buttons sticking) all our diving is in fresh water. Personally if I had the money I would go with the Abysmal Tri-mix computer. I have been using the Aladdin Pro Blue nitrox computers for nitrox decompression dive since 97 and the display size is decent but always with dive tables and bottom timers as a back up. For Tri-mix dives we cut tables.

Thanks for the feed back

Kvdivr

Originally posted by Jonathan
have you thought about perscription masks padiscubapro? I think the VR3 display is great - and much better than the nitek, can't comment about the explorer

Jonathan

I have a perscription mask (I usually carry a spare on all deco dives)... A larger display is much easier to read in low viz diving (which is most of my diving) plus I can glance at it in place, with the vr3 I have to bring it closer to my face...

Its not like they didn't have the room, the could have gone to a larger display in the same case, look how big a border they are using...

I agree its better than the nitek but for what they are charging they could have done better.

Originally posted by KVDIVR
Wow
???
I did not notice any of that. Could it be there is an upgrade or new model? They were real impressed with the versatility even being able to set additional gases underwater after the dive has started.
My friends just got theirs in England and the deco display numbers were huge even for these old eyes. Not sure if you are using yours in salt water (as far as the buttons sticking) all our diving is in fresh water. Personally if I had the money I would go with the Abysmal Tri-mix computer. I have been using the Aladdin Pro Blue nitrox computers for nitrox decompression dive since 97 and the display size is decent but always with dive tables and bottom timers as a back up. For Tri-mix dives we cut tables.

Thanks for the feed back

Kvdivr
I am using the new model of the VR3 . I received around christmas directly from the UK. I think the computer has potential, but it needs some work..

Originally posted by Divesherpa
Saw a VR3 demo at the NSS-CDS convention. It looked like a solid unit. I'm gonna wait until I can download MP3's and jam on deco using the VR3. That's the next logical step, right?

I take it that there is the "old" VR3 ("The Brick") and the new VR3 that I saw a demo on in Fla. It's much smaller, more compact, and allegedly a vast improvement over the brick. I assume you are talking about the new VR3?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom