Vytec transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
My brand new Suunto Vytec just turned up (sigh :))

The air integration transmitter is a big lump of a thing designed to screw in directly to a HP port on the first stage. I have an Apeks DST, so I have the spare HP port, but I'm just thinking about the transmitter being rigidly screwed into the side of the regulator - seems like a big fat temptation to Mr Murphy waiting to happen if someone knocks my tank over with the regulator mounted - I can just see it landing on the transmitter and breaking or something. Just to make it a little less rigid, does anyone see any problems with mounting the transmitter on a 6" HP hose like an SPG on a deco bottle? I could bend the hose around and use some bungee to hold the transmitter up against the first stage (again, just like the deco SPG), and the short hose would eliminate the rigid connection between the transmitter and first stage. The only problems I see with this is the expense of the hose ($20?), and that the hose/o-rings are possible failure points. Mind you the only HP hose I've seen blow an o-ring was one that was done up fingertight by a dodgey techo and not checked by the reg's owner before diving... :rolleyes: Or is the low risk not worth the additional burden of another hose?

I'm still running a backup SPG clipped off to my right waist D-ring - just looking forward to not having to unclip it throughout the dive except as a sanity check. Plus now I can dive in feet and PSI for all you backwards non-metric folks :jester:

is look at what you are trying to fix (i.e. your tank falling over) and fix that by not leaving your tank standing with the first stage on it. Worry about not damaging your first stage in the first place instead of worrying about adding failure points.

I'm careful around my gear - it's just other morons I'm worried about. My open water instructor threatened to fine each student a case of beer each time he saw a tank left standing unattended - it kind of sunk in early it's a no-no.

My open water instructor threatened to fine each student a case of beer each time he saw a tank left standing unattended - it kind of sunk in early it's a no-no.

Hmm, my OW instructor did the same thing to me:holycow:

Ranz

Just stuck the transmitter to my DST also. It's on the left and the SPG is off the right. I was actually thinking more along the lines of reaching back for my valve knob, in an emergency, and unscrewing the transmitter by accident. Luckily my hose protectors to my 2nd stages are pretty rugged and extend farther than the transmitter. They inhibit my hand from getting to the transmitter and also provides some protection in the event of an accident. Don't forget that the rest of your rig (BP/wing primarily) will help protect against tip-overs as well.

Don't have much "real" world data yet, but should be okay.

Ken

That's a great idea if you ask me.

I'm gonna see what the tech at my LDS says about it...

Thanks wheezy. I was thinking if people don't screw SPG's directly into a reg for a slung bottle, why screw the transmitter in? Although being able to read the SPG could certainly be a factor :rolleyes:

Look at the hole size on a HP hose. little bitty hole, right? not sure if this will be a problem or not.

Tom

Aren't both the SPG and the HP port on regs 7/16"? Didn't realise they were different - at work at the moment so can't check.

and I was on a crowded boat with the Wreckmania folks.....

What I can recommend is this....
  1. Assemble your Tank/BC/Reg as soon as possible after boarding the boat and secure (bungee) the setup securely.
  2. Stand near by as your benchmates assemble their stuff. Make sure THEY secure their setups adequately.
  3. If on a two tank trip...as soon as your out of the water, swap tanks and resecure....repeat #2
  4. After last dive of trip, immedately secure your reg and transmitter back into your reg bag.

So far this has worked for me. And the transmitter is right on my first stage.

Back
Top Bottom