VR3 first Impressions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WreckWriter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I received my VR3 Friday. I got it from a company in NY called 1877SCUBAUSA, paid about $1100 for it. It's the open circuit trimix version.

First impression on opening the box was how solid it is. It's made of aluminum and weighs a solid pound if not more. Looks kinda like a hand axe! I believe in an emergency you could bust open a coconut with this thing. It's about the size of the palm of my hand.

The strap is thick and stretchable, kinda like flat bungee material. It took me awhile to figure out how to install it (the trick is to remove the single "pin" which is really a screw). It has a beefy fastex buckle to secure it.

Programming is pretty straighforward, 2 buttons control everything through long and short pushes on one or both. Within about an hour I had my profiles set up with my 3 gases (air, 50%, O2 (which reads as 99%). You can set 3 different profiles, I set all 3 up the same. One must be careful as when they test it they put in some very incorrect gases. Mine had a version of EANx 50 with the MOD set at 465 fsw. Obviously one must reprogram all the gases and be sure the MOD is set correctly.

Yesterday I used it on a 153 fsw 20 minute wreck dive along with my old Vyper. The Vyper gave it's usual profile with all the deco in a single shallow stop. The VR3 gave me an 80' 2 min microbubble stop then short stops at 60, 40, 30. The 20 foot stop was about 5 minutes and the bulk of the deco was done at 15' (you can set your shallow stop at 10, 15, or 20, I set mine at 15). It gave a good long stop which I felt was somewhat but not overly conservative. The Vyper however, got bent. It wanted me to do 6 more minutes and went into error mode when I didn't. It got bent, I didn't.

The VR3 display is large and easy to read. The backlight works very well. The buttons are at the bottom and easily accessed.

All in all the VR3 kicks butt so far. I know a guy who had a button fall out of his and I'm hoping that was a fluke. Time will tell.

Tom

Originally posted by ericfine50
Tom,

Now for the burning question - How was the video game?

:)

Eric

I forgot to try it!

Tom

I got to hold a VR3 this past weekend (thanks Woody!!!) and you're totally right on about the construction. It's a hefty bit of kit.

Though I didn't dive it, I did like the way that the dot matrix style of LCD screen would allow for more than just the basic display of numbers and "flags" that other computers used.

Please keep us up to date of your dives and thoughts on this computer. There's lots of us out here who'd like to hear more info on this new system.

--Mike

I have done about 10 deco dives with my VR3 so far and the computer does the dive very well. My buddy and I (we both have VR3's) both do deep stops AND even ones that the VR3 do not show. The nice thing about the VR3 we have noticed that with our extra deep stops it still gives us some credit when we get shallow. There is still many things that need to be addressed with the VR3 and right now I am talking to: OMS, Delta and Delta's pc software writer about these. Some of the issues are:

1. The VR 3 does read temps during the dive. I would like that info in the pc computer log.
2. Interfacing with your PC is not really good. I have had some MAJOR issues with that. My buddy and I have had both our computers completely reset during a download....WE LOST ALL OUR TISSUE LOADS
3. When you do download your log it can only download 10 dives...so if you have 20 or 30 to download.....you loose dives. (this happend to me, I have lost about 30 dives)
4. More info on how to work the Alt. function. OMS has said that they are in the process of writing a better manual...I am still waiting.
5. The internet upgrading feature is not loaded into the computer...and guess what I have to send it back to the UK to get that....at least that is what I have been told.
6. And the last but least......this Sunday I had an in water failure! I went down to 15 feet...looked at my VR3 and it was saying I was at 30 feet with 1 minute left to deco and my tissue graphic was loaded. To top it off I had to remove the battery at the surface and wait for 1/2 hour to clear/turn off the unit. OMS is in the process of getting me a new one.

Until then I may have to do the vyper and tables, (and I will even after I get my computer back for a good 3-4 months)

Brian Faure

seems most of your issues are logbook/pc interface related. I haven't got that accessory yet. Hate to hear about the wet failure though :(

I guess the good thing is that I've heard Delta-P has excellent customer service.

Growing pains of new cutting edge technology I guess. I'll stick to tables if my VR3 goes down, the Vyper is going into gauge mode permanently (might even sell it)

Tom

"I guess the good thing is that I've heard Delta-P has excellent customer service."

Yes and no....it is like pulling teeth to get anything from them..and do we get any info....not really...

OMS is our contact since they are the US dist. for them. And Delta P is in the UK..so calling them is not so easy. Also having to send your computer back the the UK to get internet upgrades is not what OMS web page says.....

There is a few reasons I am still messing around with this computer:

1. No lockouts
2. True deco with gas switches
3. Trimix
4. Rebreather interface
5. "Internet upgradeable"
6. Seems to like/do deep stops
7. Has a game...okay that one it not real..:)

Brian Faure
Austin, Texas

Originally posted by BFaure
OMS is our contact since they are the US dist. for them. And Delta P is in the UK..so calling them is not so easy. Also having to send your computer back the the UK to get internet upgrades is not what OMS web page says.....

Maybe that's a mistake. The guy I know that had trouble skipped OMS.

Tom

Waited for a few months for OMS to deliver mine - we cancelled the orders (3 of them) and went to Delta-P direct and got them in a few weeks.

I had a similar in water failure - but did not know about that "fix". Fortunately it was my last dive of the holiday and I had kept a track of things so able to get out of the water with no damage (first time I've done 12 back-to-back deco dives so I was a little nervous). Sent it back to Delta-P and got it back in 2 weeks (well the shop has and I have not picked it up yet so do not know what they had to say) - I'd probably be waiting till Christmas if I had used OMS.....

Jonathan

Sounds like the VR3 is plagued with some fairly minor problems right now. Was the electronic design significantly changed from the original VR3? I'll definitely wait until I start trimix before considering the VR3, maybe they'll have the issues ironed out by then.....and hopefully the price will have come down.

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom