Vortex Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbob

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am going to be there the last weekend of January helping out with an OW class. I havent been there since I was doing my OW class, and I didnt have anything to compare it to. How is the water temp there now? When I was in my OW class, I was in a 7 mil, no hood or gloves, and I was fine, maybe even a bit warm. Now, all I have is a 3 mil, and my Atlan semi-dry suit. I am trying to figure out which one I will need. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

diverbob:
I am going to be there the last weekend of January helping out with an OW class. I havent been there since I was doing my OW class, and I didnt have anything to compare it to. How is the water temp there now? When I was in my OW class, I was in a 7 mil, no hood or gloves, and I was fine, maybe even a bit warm. Now, all I have is a 3 mil, and my Atlan semi-dry suit. I am trying to figure out which one I will need. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
The water temp always stays about 68 degrees. I wear a shorty over a full suit that gives me a 5/4 with 3 on the forearms and lower legs. I wear a beanie for head gear, thin gloves for hands. Seems ok until about an hour into the dive. I'm usually out of air by then anyway.

At 68F, Vortex can be great with a 3 mil for one dive, a 5 mil for two or three dives, but if you're going to stay in the water much of the day (two shifts of students, for example) you'll want your semi-dry.
Personally, I dive it dry when doing classes there.
---
We'll probably have a group there that weekend - a gear configuring and testing weekend, so we'll be the guys endlessly adjusting and rearanging and generally futzing with our gear all the time.
Rick

Hi Bob,

Didn't you recently do your Cavern at Ginnie? Water will be nearly identical to that. Plan accordingly.

Have fun,

theskull

theskull:
Didn't you recently do your Cavern at Ginnie? Water will be nearly identical to that.
Uh, Ginnie usually runs about 72... Vortex is 68. That little 4 degrees makes a huge difference, in my opinion.
Rick

thanks for all the advice. I appreciate it. I will probably bring both suits, and use my 3 mil for fun dives on Friday, and wear the semi-dry when working the classes. Again, thanks for all the input.

theskull:
Hi Bob,

Didn't you recently do your Cavern at Ginnie? Water will be nearly identical to that. Plan accordingly.

Have fun,

theskull

Yes, I was there in November, but I was only there for 2 short cavern training dives and then was out.

Was there for my firsttim ethis monday...cold.The water was 66 accoridingtomy comp but the air temp was waayy colder, so take it into account.

I would like to do something on Friday too PM me if you can.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom