Volunteering in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I know a couple people here who are involved with project seahorse. The word is if you just shoot off an email to the people involved locally and say you'll be hanging around the PI with your own gear and would was wondering if you could join on a couple surveys they'll let you tag along (provided you pay for your own lodging and food)... :wink:

edit: but that means you'll have to head over to Ubay, which is on the other side of Bohol. Let's just say it's the equivalent of being stuck in the tropical version of Yellowknife or Thunder Bay. :)

Last edited:
Thx for the link, fishybenjie! Someone suggested CIDA to me when I first started my search and unfortunately, I don't qualify for various reasons. I haven't heard anything back yet from the pastor person, but I'm certain I will. In the meantime, I'm still open to suggestions as always. :)

Sigh, you've never been open to my "suggestions," Anna. Seriously, I will have to read all the rest of the posts in this thread since I may also be interested in some of the ideas mentioned.

A couple of other organizations:

Coralcay.org - this is an ocean survey/conservation - unfortunately you pay most of your way. I did meet quite a few people volunteering from around the world for this while in the Philippines. They have very restrictive diving proceedures. They do need scuba instructors to educate their volunteers sometimes prior to the volunteers starting the surveys as well as continuing education. The volunteers really get to know the local fish and corals quite well so maybe that's a good trade off.

operationsmile.org
Good operation which performs a very simple operation to heal cleft palates on children though they typically target just a couple of weeks in different locations in the Philippines and around the world.

A couple of other organizations:

Coralcay.org - this is an ocean survey/conservation - unfortunately you pay most of your way. I did meet quite a few people volunteering from around the world for this while in the Philippines. They have very restrictive diving proceedures. They do need scuba instructors to educate their volunteers sometimes prior to the volunteers starting the surveys as well as continuing education. The volunteers really get to know the local fish and corals quite well so maybe that's a good trade off.

operationsmile.org
Good operation which performs a very simple operation to heal cleft palates on children though they typically target just a couple of weeks in different locations in the Philippines and around the world.

I remember Coralcay!!!! :)

They did some research work in Campomanes Bay (again in Negros Occ.). The deal before was something like you do survey work and get certified AOW in return. I hope they are still around the RP (the Campomanes Bay project is over. ran into some problems with the LGU if I remember correctly).

While googling around for something else, I came across the website for Hands On Manila -- a volunteer organization that doesn't cater to foreigners but doesn't seem to rule them out either. :wink: Does anyone have any experience with them? My contact is in the PI now so I'm hoping he's able to arrange something but if not, I thought this might be a good alternative!

anna- my dive instructor just relocated from Denmark to PI last month and settled himself and his girlfriend in Butuan (that's in the South). He is starting a foundation there- mainly focused on sheltering and educating homeless streetchildren. I do not have the details of the program yet (I am yet to see him in Butuan in the coming weeks or next month to discuss the program- i want to take part in it myself...) but if this is something that interests you, let me know so I can send you his contact details.

anna- my dive instructor just relocated from Denmark to PI last month and settled himself and his girlfriend in Butuan (that's in the South). He is starting a foundation there- mainly focused on sheltering and educating homeless streetchildren. I do not have the details of the program yet (I am yet to see him in Butuan in the coming weeks or next month to discuss the program- i want to take part in it myself...) but if this is something that interests you, let me know so I can send you his contact details.

This sounds wonderful! Please do pass along his info! (Via PM if you're more comfortable.) Even if it doesn't work out with the upcoming trip, I see more in my future. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom