Volunteering in the Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad to see Anna so interested in helping others. As for me, I'll help myself! Hmmm.... come to think of it, I'm doing such a good job at that.

Anna and I have chatted about her experiences recently in the Philippines. Those talks, and all the great folks I've met from there on this board certainly have piqued my interest in going there. However, my only skill set is educating people about the marine environment... and I'd have to learn the biota there before I could help others.

Thank you for the responses and kind words! :)

boljakool, Thx for the link. I had a look at their current postings and I don't fit the criteria. I will take you up on the offer to go diving though! :wink:

Axua, I had a quick glance at the organization you linked to and they do look interesting and applicable. Expect a PM soon.

Babydamulag, I'm not one for organized religion but I'll see if a google of "Red Cross Philippines" turns anything up.

Philippine National Red Cross

The Philippine National Red Cross has a main office in Manila, and several small local chapters out in the different areas and provinces. If you want to be based in the provinces, I would give the local chapter a call to see what you can help out with.

During a disaster response, you might have to help out assembling the care packages and distributing them.

Dr.Bill, the marine ecosystem there is so cool and weird! For someone like me, who has spent his time studying more northern marine ecosystems, these tropical systems are fascinating, but hard to figure out! Reefs just aren't the same as continental shelfs...

I'm sure your best bet would be contacting University researchers over there if you'd want to donate your time/ skills there... I'm sure they would be open to the idea... Or, if you prefer, I'm sure there will soon be some non-profit organisations that will come along which will generously let you Volunteer your skills for a reasonable price...:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3: (sorry, couldn't help that one!!:D:D).

While I was over there I was also thinking how I could volunteer my Marine Biologist skills to help out. But the reality that hit me was that they needed volunteer help for much more urgent issues than the marine environment ... :popcorn: If I was to help out, and wanted to make a big difference, there were more pressing needs...

Cheers!:coffee:

Glad to see Anna so interested in helping others. As for me, I'll help myself! Hmmm.... come to think of it, I'm doing such a good job at that.

Anna and I have chatted about her experiences recently in the Philippines. Those talks, and all the great folks I've met from there on this board certainly have piqued my interest in going there. However, my only skill set is educating people about the marine environment... and I'd have to learn the biota there before I could help others.

Thx, paolov! But:
"Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later."

I'll try again later or google around to see what else comes up.

Does anyone have any feedback they'd like to share about volunteer organizations operating in the Philippines?

I know this thread is old but here's my 2-cents... I have been researching on doing volunteer work in the Philippines a few months ago and found this:
Project Seahorse - Advancing Marine Conservation

[/QUOTE]Seeking Volunteer Scuba Divers
The Project Seahorse Foundation for Marine Conservation (registered Filipino NGO) seeks volunteer, certified SCUBA divers (minimum 15 logged dives) who are interested in participating in a long-term monitoring program for assessing Marine Protected Area (MPA) effectiveness in northern Bohol, Philippines.

The surveys are conducted biannually, one in the dry season (March - April) and one in the wet season (September - October). An eight-week commitment is required comprising approximately two weeks of training and six weeks of survey work. Surveys are easily influenced by weather and other unpredictable events, so the duration of the fieldwork may vary. If completed quickly, volunteers will be asked to assist with other conservation work, such as data encoding or assisting with other biological field programs.[/QUOTE]

Here's one more possible volunteer opportunity:
http://www.coralcay.org/index.php

Last edited:
Thx for the info, Joe Cool! After I started this thread, I discovered another one put up by someone from Project Seahorse. I've met a few of the people involved with the project out at UBC and they seem very nice, but I'm a bit hesitant to pay $2400 US for an 8-week stint that involves shared living accommodations. :wink:

A church-going friend of mine has a pastor who has contacts in the Philippines and even though I'm not religious, he's willing to help me find something worthwhile and suitable so I'm hoping it pans out.

I'm still open to more information though! :)

Thx for the info, Joe Cool! After I started this thread, I discovered another one put up by someone from Project Seahorse. I've met a few of the people involved with the project out at UBC and they seem very nice, but I'm a bit hesitant to pay $2400 US for an 8-week stint that involves shared living accommodations. :wink:

A church-going friend of mine has a pastor who has contacts in the Philippines and even though I'm not religious, he's willing to help me find something worthwhile and suitable so I'm hoping it pans out.

I'm still open to more information though! :)

I, too, was hesitant to shell out $2400 to volunteer. I do understand that they need to pay for your diving and lodging expenses plus donate $$ to the program but I think it's a bit too much for me in exchange for my assistance. Don't get me wrong, I fully support them in their endeavor but the price of volunteering is a bit steep.:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom