Viz report - Thailand....post Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wunat:
I have also been told that Similan National Park is current closed. At the moment, I know that dive operators in Phuket are still having their dive boats packed with foreigners. Here is a link to the relative new:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2004/12/30/business/index.php?news=business_15927151.html

In the news, it is said that there are saying that marine ecology below the depth of 20m is not affected. There are 2 different types of arguments at the moment. One side said that the reefs are severely damaged and would require around 15 years or so to recover. The other said the conditions are healthy for scuba. Personally, I just hope that the Thai government's intention to secure the tourism industry will not be compromised with the damages of the marine ecology. May dive shops are sending divers to make on-site observations. Any official confirmation, I will post up soonest.

I am schedule to go to Hin Muang/Hin Daeng in April. Though a distance away, I am curious myself if things will need to be changed.

all the Thai government are worried about is the tourist income, that is why despite telling the BBC that they gave warnings, they gave NONE even though they had a minimum of an hours warning.

the Thai government decided not to say anything just incase the wave was nothing when it came to Thailand.

Thailand was already suffering this year due to the scare of bird flu and the trouble with the muslims in the south.

i don't think the Similans are worthy of a top 10 status, go to the Southern Red Sea, then you will see world class diving worthy of the top 10

SSRA: The local divesites are absolutely gorgious at the moment, better vis and more life than we have seen in the last years.
The situation at Phi Phi we can not tell, since there is no diving done yet, but Shark Point, Anemone Reef, King Cruiser ets: really lovely at the moment.

From a search and recovery operation at Phi Phi I can give you some information on the reefs there though. Tonsai Bay, where my divers were, the corals were damaged, but everybody was surprised they were not damaged more, and the fish life was lovely again. Tonsai Bay and the other sites close to the islands are not the best sites anyway, maybe I have dived there once in the last 5 years? Can't give you an update on Bida Nok and Nai yet.

Status for Ko Bida Nok & Nai:

30 -12 -2004
Koh Bida Nok (1:30pm)
Visibility: 10-15 meters (very normal for December)
Water temp: 28 C
Current: mild
Marine life: Normal! There were no sign of damages from the Tsunami. Schools of yellow lined snappers, fusiliers, angel fish, leaopard sharks, black tip reef sharks were sighted. Coral showed no sign of tsunami damages. Some trash floating at the surface, none underwater as we were prepare for clean, and all came up empty bag.

Tonsai Bay (4:20pm)
Visibility: 1-3 meter
Water Temp: 28 c
Current: None
Marine life: heavily damaged corals, silts, and lots building swept into the bay from the Tsunami. These sites were used normally for confined water training, snorkeling and discover scuba diving before the tsunami. We recovered suitcases, backpacks, ID tags, and sadly bodies during the last few days here.
Comment: Do not agree to go to Tonsai if your boat operator decides to go for a look. It is out of respect of the unfortunates and the safety of the recovery team. This task will take much longer than just days to locate and clean up.

29-12-04
King Cruiser Wreck (11:20am)
Visibility: 10-12 meters (good and unusual for this time of year) Water
Temp: 28 C
Current: mild
Marine life: Ghost pipefish, lionfish, leopard shark & bamboo shark on the wreck, schools of snappers, fusiliers, barracudas, jacks, rabbit fish etc.
Comment: The middle deck at 22m of the bow area finally collapsed, ok to swim through and back out, not much inside, the wreck is very fragile at the moment, penetration not allowed. Do not go into the wreck as your bubbles will cause further damage. No trash on dive site and very little at the surface.

Koh Doc Mai (1:45pm)
Visibility: 8-10 meters (normal for this time of year)
Water Temp: 28 C
Current: Moderate
Marine life: No visible damage to any corals, fish life remained abundance, sighted were silver slides, giant barracudas, white eyes & giant morays, abundance of reef fish.
Comment: no trash under water, quite a lot of floating debris on the surface, include a bamboo house drifting from Phuket on its way to sea.

Recommendation: The diving in the southern dive sites are looking very normal. Day trip boats have resume operation to dive sites: Shark Point, King Cruiser Wreck, Koh Doc Mai, Koh Racha Yai (East Coast dive sites), and Koh Racha Noi.

Ko Bida Nok & Nai, Tonsai Bay, Koh Doc Mai: Where are those sites located?
Thank you for the report thien.

Here is the link to the pictures of Similan and Surin Islands taken during their on-site investigation after the Tsunami wave. This trip was carried out in order to check the condition of below the sea at Similan and Surin after destruction. I do not have the reports yet but here are some pictures.

Similan:

http://www.wahoodivingcenter.com/updatesDetail.asp?id=33

Surin:

http://www.wahoodivingcenter.com/updatesDetail.asp?id=32

The trip was lead by a marine scientist from Kasetsart University. He is well-know for his underwater photography and marin life studies.

Ciao,

escapedia:
Ko Bida Nok & Nai, Tonsai Bay, Koh Doc Mai: Where are those sites located?
Thank you for the report thien.

Koh Bida Nok and Koh Bida Nai are part of the Phi Phi islands, about 10km south of the main island. These are the best dive sites at Phi Phi in most peoples opinion. Tonsai Bay is the main bay on Phi Phi Don where the main town is. Not really a dive site. I only dived there once when there was no other choice due to weather.

Koh Doc Mai is a small island close to Phuket, between Phuket and Phi Phi.

Happy Diving!

Dear all,

Here is a official new released today in one of Thailand's English paper:

The Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment is expected to announce the reopening of the Similan Islands for tourism today. Marine scientists said several of the archipelago’s coral reefs were damaged in landslides triggered by the tsunami, yet most of the ecosystems seem capable of regeneration.

A damage evaluation survey was conducted between January 6 and 8 in collaboration with Prince of Songkla University, the Similan Marine National Park and dive operators from Bangkok and Phuket. The December 26 tsunami badly damaged coral ecosystems. As the local tourism industry depends on scuba-diving, damaged reefs could have long-term economic repercussions for the area. Thailand’s marine tourism industry now has its collective gaze trained on the Similan Marine National Park, one of the world’s top 10 dive destinations.

The Similan Islands, an archipelago of nine granite isles running roughly from north to south and peppered with numerous outcroppings of rock, provide spectacular dive sites in crystal clear waters. The survey of the tsunami’s impact on local reefs found that most dive sites had suffered damage of between 10 and 60 per cent.

“The survey’s findings will be presented to the government today. We propose closing down seven dive sites,” said Sakanan Plathong, a researcher at Prince of Songkla University’s Centre for Biodiversity of Peninsular Thailand.

Especially hard-hit sites recommended for closure to tourism until they can regenerate are: Island One, Island Two and Island Three, as well as the dive sites known as the Great Wall, Fantasy Reef, Christmas Point and Snapper Alley. Snapper Alley and the Great Wall may be off limits for the long haul, and Christmas Point and Fantasy Reef until they are sufficiently recovered, Sakanan said. Islands one, two and three are in turn earmarked for turtle conservation projects, he added.

Because of the persistent problem of inadequate fresh water supplies as a result of the tsunami disaster, reopened tourism in the area will initially be limited to day trips and tourists living aboard their boats. These, however, account for more than 90 per cent of tourism activities in the area. Yet despite the reopening of the rest of the sites for tourism, scuba-diving in Similan National Park is expected to stay sluggish throughout the season.

“Cancellations come in every day, and dive operators in Phuket are bracing for the worst economic crisis in their history,” said Soonthorn Thongaram, operations manager of Marina Divers in Phuket.

Yet the majority of dive operators support the closure of badly damaged sites. In fact, they are more than ready to assist the national park’s staff in their efforts to rehabilitate the reefs, Soonthorn said.

Several dive sites around the Similan Islands, however, remain intact, having emerged unscathed from the disaster. Local dive operators, though, worry about the tsunami’s psychological impact on tourists. A long-term drop in marine tourism will leave locals dependent for their income on tourism in dire straits.

The Similan Islands, declared a national marine park in 1982, are widely popular with divers. In 2004, some 70,000 tourists visited the archipelago. Entrance and accommodation fees brought in Bt25 million alone.

I do hope that the dive operators will help our marine ecology by staying away from those dive sites closed for rehabilitation.

My heart & prayers goes out to all of those affected by the quake and tsunamis! Hope & pray that things will get better soon!

Don't let such devastating event stop anyone from diving because the industry and locals need all our support to rebuild their lives (in Thailand, Indonesia, Maldive, Sri Lanka, India, Malaysia & etc). Donation is a great way to show our support, but it's not gonna help if we stop diving in this region. We can help them to rebuild their lives again by supporting them through diving in this region because their livelihood depends on tourism and in the long run, this will benefit them & us more. "Let us not enjoy, what others built, but enjoy building it! - Ed_Dman".

Happy Diving & Keep Those Bubbles Flowing! :scubadive

Has anyone came back from a liveaboard to the Similans and can give a non-biased report?
Members who said they'd post here, please do.
Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom