Creature Identification guidebook for Similan Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OrcasC205

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're fortunate to be going on a 4D4N liveaboard in the Similan Islands in a couple of weeks and are curious if anyone can recommend a book to help identify the wildlife we will see in the Andaman Sea. I've looked on Amazon, but most are for the tropical Pacific Ocean and I'm not sure how much difference there is wildlife between the East Coast and West Coast of Thailand. Any recommendations?

The “Reef Fish in IndoPacific” should pretty much cover it. But dont spend those $$ yet. Every Liveaboard has a collection of fish books on the coffee table and you can browse them in the evenings…

I saw that book (“Reef Fish in IndoPacific” ), but it wasn't clear from the table of contents if it covers more than just fish. We're also interested in invertebrates (cephalopods, nudibranchs, etc.)

I saw that book (“Reef Fish in IndoPacific” ), but it wasn't clear from the table of contents if it covers more than just fish. We're also interested in invertebrates (cephalopods, nudibranchs, etc.)
The best bet is to to take pictures on any subjects that you had seen. And then try to identify them afterward.
Have fun.

The answer is in the title..."Reef FISH in IndoPacific."

I have most of the SE Asia reef ID guides and this is my fav "Indo-Pacific Coral Reef Field Guide" by Dr. Gerald R. Allen & Roger Steene. It covers e everything from fish, corals, sponges, crustaceans, mollusks, starfish, even marine reptiles. Basically everything in the sea!

17070111826054589352268691204316.jpg
17070112511856713497311778119470.jpg

Thanks! That looks like just what I was looking for. For us it's worth it to buy a copy ourselves so we can pour over it on our trip to Thailand as well as use it to help record of what we saw for memory's sake.

Thanks! That looks like just what I was looking for. For us it's worth it to buy a copy ourselves so we can pour over it on our trip to Thailand as well as use it to help record of what we saw for memory's sake.
Nudi is quite difficult to identify because of the sheer number of it.
"Nudibranch of the Coral Triangle" covers Indonesia, New Guinea and Philippines. Unfortunately, Thailand is NOT within that famous triangle.

Dive site book for thailand. Not an id book. $7usd including the mail.

Attachments

• _DSC0026.jpg
    _DSC0026.jpg
    303.4 KB · Views: 20
  • _DSC0028.jpg
    _DSC0028.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 21
  • _DSC0030.jpg
    _DSC0030.jpg
    414 KB · Views: 21
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back