Viz report - Thailand....post Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Abopp

Registered
Reaction score
Its probably a bit soon (although I've read some posts from people saying that its "back to normal" in most bits of Thailand) but I wondered whether anyone has been sub-aqua since the tsunami hit? I've booked a liveaboard on the Panunee to go to the Similans in Jan. Apparently the boat is ok but they've changed the schedule to Phi Phi/Hin Daeng instead of the Similans. I'm now trying to work out whether to go to Thailand or consider booking somewhere entirely different (maybe the Phillipines). Annoyingly I've paid for my time on the Paunuee and I don't know whether I'm entitled to a refund (trying to get in touch with them at the moment, but I'm UK based so the time difference makes things a bit difficult)....but I won't bother changing my arrangements if underwater Thailand, and in particular, Phi Phi/Hin Daeng is still ok/worth going to....

Any comments/advice/opinions anyone? Much appreciated...

Best fishes...

A

Why the change from the Similians. I have a trip that goes through there in March. Is there damage? I heard that might be the case.

DontLieToMe:
Why the change from the Similians. I have a trip that goes through there in March. Is there damage? I heard that might be the case.

Not sure - the website says something about the Thai Government having closed the area to assess the damage....my trip is in mid-Jan, so alot sooner than yours in March, by which time I'm sure it'll be fine!

Keep your eye on the thread - am hoping for some responses from people out there...

A

I heard that the Similans is closed for the next 2 months at least. I also heard that at least Hin Dang/Hin Muang were not affected much by the tsunami.
Our divetrip this week was canceled and we are actually thinking of going on the Panunee around mid January to Hin Dang Hin Muang as well.

"but I won't bother changing my arrangements if underwater Thailand, and in particular, Phi Phi/Hin Daeng is still ok/worth going to...."

Suggest you do a bit of research before getting on a plane to the Andaman see area of Thailand any time soon. We we dived in Phi Phi last year and from the shots i have seen the entire village - including all of the dive operations - is pretty much gone. We're trying to find out if our instructor survived.

I have also been told that Similan National Park is current closed. At the moment, I know that dive operators in Phuket are still having their dive boats packed with foreigners. Here is a link to the relative new:

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2004/12/30/business/index.php?news=business_15927151.html

In the news, it is said that there are saying that marine ecology below the depth of 20m is not affected. There are 2 different types of arguments at the moment. One side said that the reefs are severely damaged and would require around 15 years or so to recover. The other said the conditions are healthy for scuba. Personally, I just hope that the Thai government's intention to secure the tourism industry will not be compromised with the damages of the marine ecology. May dive shops are sending divers to make on-site observations. Any official confirmation, I will post up soonest.

I am schedule to go to Hin Muang/Hin Daeng in April. Though a distance away, I am curious myself if things will need to be changed.

I would stay away....there may be a lot of disease and contanimated water etc....it will take some time for them to recover..

There are conflicting reports, some saying the Similans are closed already, but the last 2 days liveaboards are leaving already for Similans. The Similan National Park is closed, just like it is in the low season, but that only means: no guests allowed on the islands, that has nothing to do with diving at the Similans.

On boats and on Phuket, there is no need to be afraid of diseases, contaminated water, etc., the situation on Phi Phi and Khao Lak is different. I had 4 divers on Phi Phi the last 2 days, assisting with search and recovery, and their reports are not making me very happy.

Steven,
Not to hijack the thread - but how are things in Phuket? I watch CNN and I'm unsure if we are getting the total picture. I thought your posts on Monday were very informative.

May the New Year bring you and those you touch, peace, happiness and good health.

Here in Kata Beach it is almost back to normal, hardly any signs of what happened. I also expect Patong to be completely on its feet again in 6 weeks time.
As I wrote earlier, the last 2 days I had 4 divers assisting with search and recovery at Phi Phi, on the same days daytrip guests have gone out, we had a DSD and somebody wanted to make a nightdive at the housereef.
I am receiving vancellations, but also emails from people saying they will change their plans and come to Phuket in stead of Samui, because right now in Phuket the need for tourists is high. And these kind of emails do make us very happy at the moment, exactly what we all need.

The situation in Khao Lak and Phi Phi is still disastrous, but I've also heard, that the plan is to 'reopen' Phi Phi again in the second half of next month. After hearing the reports about Phi Phi I doubt they will make that, but things are really moving fast at the moment.

I've been thinking about hanging a webcam outside and broadcasting through my website, but I'm afraid nobody will watch, simply because there is nothing special to see, just as CNN is not broadcasting these pictures.

Back
Top Bottom