Viz report - Thailand....post Tsunami

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just wanna say thanks to Sunrise and everyone in Thailand who has posted on this board and made sure that I was properly informed.

I'm still heading off to Phuket tomorrow and start a liveaboard on the 8th Jan. If I can get to an internet cafe I'll put up proper pics from underwater for others to help them make the right decision and support the Thai people.

After much debate, internet research (thank god we don't have TV) and lambasting (from the parents and friends), we decided not to cancel our liveaboard trip - we go out tonight on Mermaid I to Similans/Burma. After donations to relief agencies, we felt that the best thing we could do was to support the economy and continue spending our tourist dollars in Thailand. We have been in Kata since Jan. 3. It is hard to believe that such devastation has happened further up and down the coast. The beach looks like the photos we had seen when we made our travel arrangements last July. Tourists are swimming in the waters, jet-skiing and para-sailing. I am amazed and heartened by the resilience of the people here. One of the beachfront restaurants toward the south side of the bay which was affected by the wave is up and running in the few days we've been here. Framework has gone up for another nearby business and people are busily mortaring, laying tile and reforming beachfront walls. We have not encountered any sanitation issues here. John Williams, of Siam Dive n'Sail, who booked our liveaboard, provided info daily updated on their website which was very helpful in making our decision. We have been doing a few check-out dives in the area with Phuket Scuba Club. Will write a full trip report upon our return.

Ariel

Ariel:
After much debate, internet research (thank god we don't have TV) and lambasting (from the parents and friends), we decided not to cancel our liveaboard trip - we go out tonight on Mermaid I to Similans/Burma.

Good on ya. I tell you I have spent a lot of effort trying to convince people who are already booked that the best thing to do is come and dive. Especially those who are already in Thailand. Most people are still coming, and with good reports coming from the dive sites I think they will have great trips.

i guess you know that even if you followed the local thai news this and other forums and the dive center rapports, its very difficult to figure out what its actually like

anyway i am supposed to be in phuket (kata) for 2 month from mid february, and i would really apreciate some actual info on the dive situation so please do tell us what you see

morten

I have a trip in mid-March to Similans and Mergui. Very interested in state of Surin (which I heard took some serious damage) and Similans (varying reports).

I just came back from a 6 days/nights liveaboard, so here my update on the conditions.

All divesites at the East, North and South sides of the islands are completely untouched. That means sites like: Hideaway, North Point, Elepehant Head, Phantasy Reef, Donald Duck Bay, Beacon Reef, Batfish Bend, Barracauda Point, Shark Fin Reef, Boulder City, the outside of Donald Duck Bay, the South of Island 8, the Moorings are excellent diving. East Of Eeden is I would say 80% undamaged, and definately worth a visit. Also still good diving offer Koh Bon (the inside of the bay is gone, but the Westridge, the meeting point for manta rays (and they were there) is undamaged), Koh Tachai (has changed a lot, but still lovely) and Richelieu Rock (undamaged). These are the places I have been diving, there may be others still offering excellent diving.
The sites on the West side have been damaged, since we were there with guests and did not feel like taking them to divesites where there was possibly nothing left, I honestly can not tell to what extend. The reports I have heard, is that Deep Six and Christmas Point are badly damaged, some of the other west sites are damaged but still nice.

stevenl:
East Of Eden is I would say 80% undamaged, and definately worth a visit. Also still good diving offer Koh Bon (the inside of the bay is gone)QUOTE]

What I heard from the boats about East of Eden is that the damaged section is in the South, where it was already damaged - is that your impression? There was usually little point going much further than THE BIG BOMMIE except to zig zag in the shallows and hope for a turtle or two?

Mantas are at Koh Bon, you say? That is good news, as they seemed to be a bit late this year.

And at Koh Bon, well, there was never anything inside the bay anyway. If there's Mantas there, nobody tends to care much about the rest!

And you were diving Fantasea Reef? So it's open again? Or just no National Park staff to stop you?

Thanks for the good news. Matches with reports from other boats.

East of Eden: correct, the area to the South of the bommie is badly damaged. It was not that bad before though, but now there is really no choice.
Fantasea Reef: we had little choice, since there was too much wind to dive the east side. We were not the only ones, but yes: it was illegal. And incredibel how fast news goes: when the Rangers came to collect the park fees (yes, they're back), they also knew.

Thanks for the report, this is a good news. I think TAT will also do some surveys next week with the Panunee around the Similans etc as well. If the Park Rangers are back collecting Park Entry fee I suppose the Similans are really opened then, despite whatever the reports on local TV.

Bangkok Post today has a rather depressing reports of coral reefs but the area that they seemed to concentrate on are right around Phuket itself and right off the beach from Phi Phi, are those actual divesites? The names are not really familiar to me, as far as divesites are concerned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom