Visuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWMurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm sure there are people here doing your own visuals. Where do you get your stickers so that the shops will fill your tanks?

TDI sells them to certified inspectors.

PSI doesn't state on their site how long their certs are good for, does anyone know that? Also, it was my understanding that there is actually no certification required to visual a tank annually, it is just a self-imposed industry standard. Is that still the case?

I'd just hate to spend $240 for the cert to vip 10 tanks and then have to get re=certified next year to get new stickers.

Thanks

My PSI certification does not have an expiration date. I have almost 30 cylinders of various descriptions. Pays for itself very quickly in my case.

Older PSI certification never expired, but newer ones require taking a refresher course every three years to keep the certification in effect. ostensibly to meet OSHA hazmat requirements.

Since certification is not required in order to visually inspect tanks, there's nothing to say you have to keep your PSI certification current in order to continue inspecting tanks, and the main disadvantage to having PSI certification lapse is that you cannot buy stickers from PSI any more. Many PSI inspectors get around this by simply stocking up on stickers while their certification is current, or getting them from a friend who is current.

Generic stickers (ones with no shop name on them) are also available from dive store suppliers like Trident and Global and often turn up on ebay. Some of the dive certification agencies also sell them, but only to their instructors and divemasters.

Be warned that many shops will not accept generic stickers, or inspections done by individual tank owners regardless of whether they have certification.

Always keep in mind, when doing an inspection, that by putting a sticker on a tank, you are exposing yourself to possible liability should anything go wrong with that tank!

oxyhacker:
Always keep in mind, when doing an inspection, that by putting a sticker on a tank, you are exposing yourself to possible liability should anything go wrong with that tank!

This deserves MAJOR emphasis, as it got that in my PSI course. If your tank blows up and hurts or kills a FSO, you WILL be taking a trip to court. If you cannot produce records of the inspection that are proper, you WILL be in a world of hurt.

When I vis my tanks, I am VERY particular about it, and I will drill a hole in my tank willingly if there is a real problem. I don't always fill my own tanks so I simply am not willing to expose myself to that kind of risk.

oxyhacker:
Since certification is not required in order to visually inspect tanks, there's nothing to say you have to keep your PSI certification current in order to continue inspecting tanks, and the main disadvantage to having PSI certification lapse is that you cannot buy stickers from PSI any more. Many PSI inspectors get around this by simply stocking up on stickers while their certification is current, or getting them from a friend who is current.

Generic stickers (ones with no shop name on them) are also available from dive store suppliers like Trident and Global and often turn up on ebay. Some of the dive certification agencies also sell them, but only to their instructors and divemasters.

I'm being told by a guy at my LDS ( he's a PSI intructor of course) thta as of October 1 You HAD to have a certification from PSI to inspect scuba tanks. According to him - DOT now Requires a PSI cert. Personaly, I think it's BS, anybody heard anything different?

Of course, Scuba annual inspection is a Bogus thing anyway. Just look on the web for a guy who makes vinyl stickers, design your own and order a batch - you can get 500 for $50.
Dive shops can just go to He!!

oxyhacker:
Since certification is not required in order to visually inspect tanks, there's nothing to say you have to keep your PSI certification current in order to continue inspecting tanks,

Be warned that many shops will not accept generic stickers, or inspections done by individual tank owners regardless of whether they have certification.

I intend to get PSI certified for my tankss VIP, but I don't do it yet because of the fact that LDS doesn't honor it.

If then, what is a whole point to get PSI certified for the personal tanks?, maybe only for the information and knowledge wise..... :confused:

I sure haven't. How could the DOT require PSI cert to annual tanks, when there is no DOT requirement that tanks be annualled in the first place? And if it was true, you can bet that PSI would be trumpeting the news, which they aren't.

PSI is not the only agency to offer training in tank inspection. If the DOT did decide to mandate annual inspection by trained inspectors it is unlikely that they'd give any one agency an exclusive.

CIBDiving:
I'm being told by a guy at my LDS ( he's a PSI intructor of course) thta as of October 1 You HAD to have a certification from PSI to inspect scuba tanks. According to him - DOT now Requires a PSI cert. Personaly, I think it's BS, anybody heard anything different?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom