Visual inspection good to the last day of the month?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cthippo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Question on the specific expiration dates for visual inspections. Is it the last day of the month punched on the sticker? If I had my tanks hydro'd in July last year am I good until July 30 this year? They mentioned it on the info for one of the hydroplane races I am working this weekend and if I need to go get one or more tanks re-inspected I should figure it out in the next couple of days.

I don't think anyone would question validity until the following month. It's just a best practice to inspect after one year, it's not like it will spontaneously explode if you go 28 days past the calendar 1 year mark.

Question on the specific expiration dates for visual inspections. Is it the last day of the month punched on the sticker? If I had my tanks hydro'd in July last year am I good until July 30 this year? They mentioned it on the info for one of the hydroplane races I am working this weekend and if I need to go get one or more tanks re-inspected I should figure it out in the next couple of days.
It all depends on the monkey looking at the sticker. I've had to literally count with my fingers to show them it's well within the 12 months. It should absolutely be until the end of the month that's stamped.

As the ISL (International Scuba Law) WRT tanks is written and the codified VIP provisions outlined in Chapter 3.70, Section IV., paragraphs (a) through (r) . . .

it depends.

And for some tanks, it's not 12 months, it's maybe 6, or 3. Or even 0, just depending. At the end of the day, it's the fill operator who's at risk and their call. They should be doing their own cursory inspection regardless of what a sticker says and proceeding accordingly. If they want it redone and the mission is critical to you, I'd probably go ahead and get it done proactively so as to avoid arguing over a 1-30 day expiration of a sticker. But I could argue either side. (I wouldn't argue that the VIP is a silly waste of money just enriching the rich, greedy LDS owner. That's just nonsense.)

Not sure it's worth arguing about though. The sticker only looked at a single point in history (assuming it was backed by a worthwhile inspection) and cannot speak to the condition of the tank at any point in time after the inspector screwed the valve back on the tank. Any sticker that says "Valid/good for 12 months" is not worth the adhesive it's stuck to the tank with, IMHO.

End of the month - no different than the inspection sticker on my vehicle. But as always, their compressor, their rules.

And is also yet another reason I have my own compressor....

Mine is rarely looked at when they are it’s the end of the month.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom