Visuals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

oxyhacker:
I sure haven't. How could the DOT require PSI cert to annual tanks, when there is no DOT requirement that tanks be annualled in the first place? And if it was true, you can bet that PSI would be trumpeting the news, which they aren't.

PSI is not the only agency to offer training in tank inspection. If the DOT did decide to mandate annual inspection by trained inspectors it is unlikely that they'd give any one agency an exclusive.

That was what I told him - he 'swears' that DOT changed the rules since the last publishing of the (whatever they call them) regulations. And that it is on the PSI website. I sure didn't see anything! Of course, He 'swears' that it's a DOT reg that scuba cylinders be inspected every year.

Edit: and he'll happily train you to do it for $400

hoosier:
I intend to get PSI certified for my tankss VIP, but I don't do it yet because of the fact that LDS doesn't honor it.

If then, what is a whole point to get PSI certified for the personal tanks?, maybe only for the information and knowledge wise..... :confused:

Did the LDS owner give any reason WHY they don't honor it? A great many people do honor it, it's excellent training, and PSI is one of the largest, if not THE largest, cylinder inspection training agencies out there.

Sounds to me like the LDS owner doesn't wany anyone gettnig a piece of his pie.

PerroneFord:

Exactly.... There was no clear excuse.... Simply, they just don't want to see the self-inspected sticker. LOL~~~ I believe that the class is very informative.....

PSI is referenced in the CGA standards and those are referenced in the CFRs. They like to think they are actually cited in the regulations, but when pushed they recognize that they aren't.

The VIPs haven't been a problem, but I have had problems with shops accepting my O2 cleanings (until I sent them pics of my tumbler). Mostly I fill at home though.

PerroneFord:
Did the LDS owner give any reason WHY they don't honor it? A great many people do honor it, it's excellent training, and PSI is one of the largest, if not THE largest, cylinder inspection training agencies out there.

With steel tanks it doesn't bother me to accept psi stickers, but we require vis+ or equivalent neck checks on all aluminium tanks and the local guys that put the psi stickers on thier tanks don't seem to want to invest in the equipment. I have found neck ckacks on newer cylinders not just the old ones.

Randy

I use Visualplus3 on all our AL cylinders. And if someone brings in an older one for a fill, I will NOT fill it until I check it. I don't charge for the service though.

SteveC:
Is it true then that there is no requirment to VIP a tank other than the dive shop requires it?

BING BING BING We have A winner!!!!!

It's all a crock cooked up by the dive industry Years ago. The guy who started PSI was in the industry and wanted to make more money, since PADI had the quack certification catagory all sewed up he came up with the VIP.

The Only Legal requirement for a 'visual inspection' is when the bottle is hydroed.

Cap335:
I have found neck ckacks on newer cylinders not just the old ones.

Randy

And almost Always they have NO effect on the bottles integrity!!

Cap335:
With steel tanks it doesn't bother me to accept psi stickers, but we require vis+ or equivalent neck checks on all aluminium tanks and the local guys that put the psi stickers on thier tanks don't seem to want to invest in the equipment. I have found neck ckacks on newer cylinders not just the old ones.

Randy

Luxfer recommends AGAINST using vis+ etc checks on the newer (read: not 6351) alloy tanks due to the possibility of false positives--which you seem to have just proven.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom