Visual reference on anchor line

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use a 4in Stainless Steel Promar Snap-Hook to secure my high intensity strobe to my anchor line and it holds well and never slips... Even in low vis I can see that strobe from quite a distance when navigating back back to the boat. Might also work for your purpose.

NQCwoHH.jpg

Does a Jon line stay in place when not under tension?

I use a 4in Stainless Steel Promar Snap-Hook to secure my high intensity strobe to my anchor line and it holds well and never slips... Even in low vis I can see that strobe from quite a distance when navigating back back to the boat. Might also work for your purpose.

NQCwoHH.jpg

Never seen one of those. It's basically a big safety pin that goes through the one of the links of the chain, right?

Does a Jon line stay in place when not under tension?
It does. And when the current is ripping it lets you relax during deco.

a strobe is a useful thing to use as a reference and will also help you locate the line if you drift away from it for some unfortunate reason.

i like to use a jon line on occasion but there are times when it just gets in the way. i personally wouldn't try to do a gas switch while also having a jon line deployed

I'm trying to figure out what I can attach to the anchor line that will serve as a visual reference while switching gases, etc. I'm imagining some kind of giant clothespin, but haven't seen any products that seem like they would work. Anyone have any suggestions?
The procedure I teach is to get neutral when you arrive at your gas switch depth, you’ll be looking at your computer to arrive there already, the buddy/team is your reference, one can hold the stop and be the reference while at the same time watching/validating the buddy gas switch, so, check depth and match that to cylinder MOD, do gas switch (won’t detail procedure here) and last step before reg goes in your mouth is check depth one last time, all of this is less than 1 minute to perform.
If you’re having that much buoyancy problem, depth variation, that’s a much more pressing issue to resolve than visual reference, not trying to be mean, but honestly, solving that, would automatically eliminate the visual reference problem, even for those that solo it.
All of my technical training has been in Florida caves, so deco in open water is pretty new for me. It seems like attaching a temporary reference to the line would be easier than constantly keeping one eye on my computer, but if this is a bad idea, I'm happy to hear why.
It is a bad idea, if that’s what you’d be dependent on, you’d be left without resources if/when the anchor line is taken away, which can happen often here in Florida, I’ve seen it come lose before it was intended to a few times, and many times we prefer to do hot drops and drift deco, so no anchor line at all. On drift deco you’d have your SMB up on a reel, so that can be a reference, but again, whats the plan if you have a problem with it, or current is ripping? Not being dependent on a visual reference is a better strategy imo.

Thanks for the explanation Pavao. I'm diving Lake Michigan until I can get back to Florida, which means I'm solo at least some of the time. No real problems maintaining buoyancy, but I felt like marker on the line would reduce task loading - but it sounds a better marker is a buddy who also watches gas switches.

If for some reason the anchor line is pulled up then you'll be using your DSMB.

I have attached 5m of additional line of a different colour to my reels, thus giving me a visual reference that I am approximately -5m from the surface should I have an issue with any of my computers.

I have that clip on my Jon line, they come in various sizes, but the larger ones are easier to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom