visual inspection on tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many agencies certify people to do visual cylinder inspections?

Only NAUI to the best of my knowledge, but I suppose there may be others.

Does your LDS that you get your VCI at have a certified guy? Probably not, but they put a sticker on your tank anyway.

I used to visually inspect tanks for a dive store between High School and College. I got about 15 minutes instruction in the relevant tools and what I was supposed to do with them. And I thought (and still think) that was perfectly adequate training.

There are plenty of real risks in the diving world without the need to make up imaginary boogey men.

Number of tank failures in diving history of the world which would have been prevented if only the tank owner hadn't skipped a visual inspection? I am going to guess that if the number isn't actually zero, then it's extremely close to zero.

Also, how can someone who is untrained really do an inspection? Where are they going to get the VIP sticker?
Off of their printer?

The question came from a post I put that said in the case of my thinking that there was a chance that there might have been water intrusion into a tank, I would drain it, inspect, rinse and dry it if needed. I then said that I would put on a new O-ring, put the valve back on, and put 50-100 psi into it from another tank.

It was never mentioned or intended to say to use a fake VIS sticker.

Now if you have a problem with that we can discuss the merits of most shops visual inspections, and I would do a number on the visual eddy machines and looking for cracks in alluminum tanks from a real NDI view point.

Only NAUI to the best of my knowledge, but I suppose there may be others.

I used to visually inspect tanks for a dive store between High School and College. I got about 15 minutes instruction in the relevant tools and what I was supposed to do with them. And I thought (and still think) that was perfectly adequate training.

there is SDI/TDI and PSI/PCI to name two. i am sure PADI has one of there own.
but they all use the info that PSI/PCI came up with as they are the foremost leader in information, hell they created most of what is used today for the standards.

as far as a 15 min course goes, you cant cover lined steel tanks in that amount of time

Considering that there is no law that regulates VIP… there is no such thing as a fake VIP sticker… Unqualified dive shops print their own stickers just as well as any qualified individual or qualified dive shop.

i hope the shop you take your tank to has a certified tech on hand. when they do the inspection and fill out the report they have to put an agency and a tech number on it. if they dont give you a inspection report, thats just wrong, who knows if they did it. and if they put down a number and dont have a cert i sure that is violating some laws

David
A “certified VIP” inspector should know that there are no laws actually regulating the yearly VIP. The closest would be a CGA recommendation, but that is not a law or anything like that.

The question came from a post I put that said in the case of my thinking that there was a chance that there might have been water intrusion into a tank, I would drain it, inspect, rinse and dry it if needed. I then said that I would put on a new O-ring, put the valve back on, and put 50-100 psi into it from another tank.

Now if you have a problem with that we can discuss the merits of most shops visual inspections, and I would do a number on the visual eddy machines and looking for cracks in alluminum tanks from a real NDI view point.

i think you should, i know a tech that does not clean the threads or remove the boot to do the inspection.
let alone all the places that are to lazy to remove all the old stickers, or think it is ok to repaint tanks

David
A “certified VIP” inspector should know that there are no laws actually regulating the yearly VIP. The closest would be a CGA recommendation, but that is not a law or anything like that.

VIP's might not be a law, but there are laws about falseafying documents, and thats where i was going with that comment.

there is SDI/TDI and PSI/PCI to name two. i am sure PADI has one of there own.
but they all use the info that PSI/PCI came up with as they are the foremost leader in information, hell they created most of what is used today for the standards.

as far as a 15 min course goes, you cant cover lined steel tanks in that amount of time

I strongly promote the PSI / PCI courses, but IMHO, you are not doing them a favor… they did not create any standards… that is very wrong! The standards that they teach are supposed to come from the Compress Gas Association.

Please, if you so feel like educating anyone, at least get your basic facts straight.

Here, I'll cover lined steel tanks:

"If your steel 72 has a liner, tumble it for a week to try and get the liner out. If it doesn't come out, toss the tank because it isn't worth that kind of trouble."

Next? :wink:

I think people should be able do anything they want to do to THEIR tanks as long as the action is not illegal.

....AND if their actions do not endanger me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom