Visiting Vancouver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snoweman

Untroubled Troll
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My wife and I will be visiting Vancouver next month. Any suggestions of what to do and where to eat is appreciated. I would prefer to read about off the beaten path restaurants. Also..., the best way to get to/from Victoria is greatly appreciated. I'm seriously considering the helicopter option, at least one way, to save time.

What to do? Is this a trick question? DIve!! :cool: Great diving in Vancouver and Victoria. Giant Pacific Octopus, wolf eels sea lions!

Shops I'd recommend are for Vancouver: The Diving Locker and for Victoria: Rockfish Divers - both can hook you for local dives with rentals. Google their web siutes and fire them an email

If your budget allows it a private DM from either can show you some great spots. If you are considering the helicopter your budget should allow it. The helicopter or float plane is about 30 minutes downtown to downtown. Bus and ferry are over 4 hours.

Since you’re up there might as well go to God’s Pocket as well...but probably too late to book.

I dive Howe Sound with Sea Dragon Charters last week while in Vancouver for work. Awesome crew and great diving. HMCS Annapolis was deliberately sunk and is one of their destinations, but the pinnacle and wall dives are endless and beautiful. How to pick?

Will you have a car? It's worth it if you can rent one. If so, you'll want to take the Tsawassen ferry to Victoria and see the Provincial Museum and Butchart Gardens. Spend a night or two and explore the coastline.

Any way you can put that visit off for a couple of months? How cool would it be to dive one day, and then go snow skiing the next?! Whistler is not quite a two hour drive up the sea to sky highway (one of the most scenic drives ever), and has world class skiing.

Sorry. Reservations are made. I am a wuss and only like warm water diving. I know the diving is great, but wetsuits make me claustrophobic (or causes the claustrophobia to come out). What about top side activities?

Sorry. Reservations are made. I am a wuss and only like warm water diving. I know the diving is great, but wetsuits make me claustrophobic (or causes the claustrophobia to come out). What about top side activities?

Well, with a name like “Snoweman”...

What do you like to do? Vancouver has lots of outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, sailing or just walking in a place like Stanley Park. Lots of good restaurants in all areas of town. What do you like to eat?

What do you like to do? Vancouver has lots of outdoor activities like hiking, mountain biking, sailing or just walking in a place like Stanley Park. Lots of good restaurants in all areas of town. What do you like to eat?

My wife loves museums. Stanley Park might be a good option for a day. I already have a VRBO booked for the entire stay, but I would like to know the best way to visit Victoria for a day. I think we might rent a car for the day and go to Capilano Bridge and then go up to Whistler.

As far as eating is concerned, we are pretty adventurous. I would like to know everyone's favorite restaurant (and maybe an explanation why it's the favorite). We enjoy fine dining, but also like to find the hole-in-the-wall place that most tourists don't know about (but should).

These are not particularly off the beaten path but worth doing because they are good or have a spectacular view. Bridges on Granville Island outside patio is still open. Walk around the island before. The Teahouse in Stanley Park. Walk the sea walk before. Salmon House on the hill. Vij’s an excellent Indian vegetarian place.

There are hundreds of good restaurants in Vancouver. Ranging from street carts to fine dining. Ethnic of all varieties. Depends on what you are looking for.

Things to do. Walk Robson Street, walk the Sea Wall around Stanley Park spend an afternoon at Granville Island. Take the Sea Bus to North Vancouver and Lonsdale Quay. The Art Gallery. Take sky train out to New Westminster market. Take the Gondola up to the top of Grouse (or climb the Grouse grind if you are really fit). Lots of trails and climbs nearby.

Vancouver Victoria is done quickest by helicopter or float plane harbour to harbour. You can take a passenger ferry harbour to harbour as well. This is a new service so have never done it. The trip is very scenic but if the weather is bad a small ferry is NOT a good idea in good weather I would suggest this is worth doing rather than flying.

The car ferry is a four hour trip downtown to downtown (1:40 on the actual ferry). Very scenic but a bit hard to do if you are walking. Possible and inexpensive but long.

Bucharts Gardens is worth doing. Tourists everywhere but pretty spectacular. Walk the inner harbour, kayak the gorge, visit the museum, a round of golf, tea at the Empress. Go out to Willows Beach and Cattle Point for a walk. Dinner at Oak Bay marina. Really out of the way but dinner or lunch at Point no Point resort or Sooke Harbour House is something off the beaten path. Lunch at Blue’s Bayou on the water in Brentwood. Again lots of options for restaurants in Victoria depends on what you are looking for

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom