Visiting from California

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exstatica

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone, I'm Andrew. I'm coming to Hawaii on the 23rd through the 26th. I'm taking a little vacation for my birthday. I have a few friends that live there and I'll be staying with them. They don't dive though. I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on where to go for diving and a good place to look for a diving buddy. I have all my own gear, except i won't be bringing weights or tanks, but i'm sure they won't be hard to find.

So if you have any suggestions I appreciate it.

Also what is the recommended wear? I have a full setup but i doubt i'll need a 7mm or even a 5mm, I'm sure just a vest would be fine. But i want to make sure i shouldn't have a shorty.

Thank you,

Andrew

Last edited:
First off... aloha!

Second... which island are you coming to? That will make a big difference as to where your recommendations are provided for. :)

As for water temps, you're looking at about 75 degrees right now. Some people are comfortable in a 3mm shorty, others are chilled in a 5mm fullsuit... I don't know of anyone that dives a 7mm out here. :)

If you're thinking of doing any shore diving, the additional protection from scrapes is nice with a fullsuit... just another thought.

Well my friend lives on Oahu, so I probably won't be going too far. from that island.

75 is a great temp. I'm probably going to have to rent the shorty, but i'll play it by ear.

Thanks for the info

As for water temps, you're looking at about 75 degrees right now. Some people are comfortable in a 3mm shorty, others are chilled in a 5mm fullsuit... I don't know of anyone that dives a 7mm out here. :)

I dive a 7mm! And so do 5 of the other instructors I work with :wink:. 73-75 over here...Brrrr!!!

I dive a 7mm! And so do 5 of the other instructors I work with :wink:. 73-75 over here...Brrrr!!!
Yeah... but you're in Kauai! :D

I know a few that wear wetsuits labelled as 7mm but have been compressed down to 3.5mm...

Yeah... but you're in Kauai! :D

I know a few that wear wetsuits labelled as 7mm but have been compressed down to 3.5mm...

True, true...my 7mm is about tired and definitely compressed so I'm getting ready to bust out a new one. Only problem is, I bought it when I was 15lbs lighter! :popcorn: too much snacking during all the rains!

Hi,
Good to know this. I'll be coming out late next week to Maui and bringing my 7/5 semi dry. I get cold easily. I just didn't want to look too weird. It was that or my 3 mm with a hooded vest.

Lindy

Two things....

1) I've been getting teased for the past two weeks for my new wetsuit.... 8/7/6/5
2) I've been grinning my butt off underwater too because I'm toasty warm and have never been happier!

Oh and I'm happy to take you diving that weekend..... take a look at my links and let me know if you have any questions!

Mahalo,

G

Gabe,

I'll buy you a wetsuit heater for next christmas...ok?

Panzy :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom