Virginia Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pumpkin King

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anybody have any experience with Virginia Scuba? I'm specifically interested in their AOW class at the moment. I'm just sick of some of the stores around here freaking on me when I mention diving in a bp/w and attacking me about DIR (which I'm not). Thanks all.

That's a long way to travel for an AOW class. Any particular reason you aren't going with a shop in Baltimore?

I doubt you'll get any slack for DIR at VA Scuba, they're very much into the tech side of things down there.

cornfed:
That's a long way to travel for an AOW class. Any particular reason you aren't going with a shop in Baltimore?

I am completely open to a shop in Baltimore, but I've tried the closer ones and I'm 2/2 on mentioning I'm interested in diving hogarthian and the LDS asks if I'm DIR in a very agitated/mistrusting way. I explain that I am not DIR, but by then it seems the damage is done and I have to 'prove' myself for the rest of the conversation. I just don't feel like taking a class in that sort of environment. VA Scuba is only 20 miles from my mom's place, so a weekend to actually take the course wouldn't be that hard. (I just moved up here a few months ago).

Did you have a Baltimore shop in mind that would be cool?

Thanks

I did my AOW and all classes after that with VA Scuba for exactly the same reason - I wanted to dive a bp/w from the beginning (I did my OW in a bp/w with a shop in FL). I called and visited almost every dive shop in the metro DC area and VA Scuba was far and away the most receptive - as a matter of fact my AOW instructor taught the class in a bp/w. I drive there from Rockville, MD and know quite a few other MDers who do the same. I have taken a bunch of classes there - recreational dive classes like AOW, nitrox, rescue and some specialty classes and technican classes like O2 service, VIP, gas blending, and regulator service/repair. I am currently taking a technical diving class there. Clearly, I think that they are worth the drive.

Jackie Cooper

StagRaven:
Does anybody have any experience with Virginia Scuba? I'm specifically interested in their AOW class at the moment. I'm just sick of some of the stores around here freaking on me when I mention diving in a bp/w and attacking me about DIR (which I'm not). Thanks all.
VA Scuba is a good outfit. Like Drew said, its a bit of a drive for you but if you've got your Mom's place to overnight it wouldn't be so bad. Plus, Millbrook is real close to the shop so the training days don't involve long commutes from shop to quarry. Fills are fast also. I went with VA Scuba also for all the VIP and O2 cleaning of my tanks and manifolds, as well as my annuals on my regulators. They consistently were easy to deal with and sold what I wanted to buy. FWIW.

Doc

StagRaven:
I am completely open to a shop in Baltimore, but I've tried the closer ones and I'm 2/2 on mentioning I'm interested in diving hogarthian and the LDS asks if I'm DIR in a very agitated/mistrusting way. I explain that I am not DIR, but by then it seems the damage is done and I have to 'prove' myself for the rest of the conversation. I just don't feel like taking a class in that sort of environment. VA Scuba is only 20 miles from my mom's place, so a weekend to actually take the course wouldn't be that hard. (I just moved up here a few months ago).

Did you have a Baltimore shop in mind that would be cool?

Thanks

StagRaven-

My favorite shop is ScubaHut, right next to BWI. They have a huge stock, very knowledgeable and friendly employees, and you'll usually see backplates, steel tanks, and JetFins lying around on the floor. Last time I was in the owner was making BC harnesses with 2 inch webbing.

-Nick

The only shop that could be considered in Baltimore was Aqua Ventures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom