Virginia killings Moderation decisions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some guy was walking around downtown Seattle waving a sword at people a couple years back ...

... they shot him.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

With the talk of guns and swords and cricket weaponry, I think we get lost in the politics of the what if's of too many things. The fact is, the killer could have used any method to do the deed, obviously some methods would do more or less damage...if I am not mistaken, McVeigh used racing fuel and fertilizer to blow the building in Oklahoma. It is almost a no win situation. We can leave things they way they are now, and most likely there will be another incident in the future. Or we can infringe upon the rights of Americans (more than just gun control)in hopes we can prevent another senseless killing. I say, we all stop getting worked up, hug, and go get a beer.

This post might very well be my first post to be moderated. So be it. I will state that I am extremely pro 2nd amendment and with very few exceptions hate the idea of any gun control. That being said....

I am seeing two things done by both sides here.

The pro 2nd amendment advocates are stating if you would only allow everyone to carry a gun then this could have been prevented.

The anti 2nd amendment advocates are stating if you would prevent/ban the sales of such guns then this could have been prevented.

I think they're both wrong. Even if it had been perfectly legal for a normal citizen to carry a gun on campus I doubt there would have been someone there when they needed to be to prevent such an event from happening. It is certainly possible someone could have been but unlikely. I also know that anyone who is willing to murder isn't going to be phased by additional legislation, of any type.

There isn't a legislative answer to such problems period. I watched a video of someone robbing a store with a hatchet on the news yesterday. If people want to do such things they will. This is the society we now live in. My worry is that this is will be used to progress even more anti-gun legislation and/or anti-privacy legislation. I really wonder how much longer it will be before the government starts running routine and mandatory background checks of all of it's citizens. It certainly seems sometimes like that is where we are heading.

TxHockeyGuy:
The pro 2nd amendment advocates are stating if you would only allow everyone to carry a gun then this could have been prevented.

i am certainly pro 2nd amendment and this is not my position

stuff like this can't be prevented, period.

until we figure out how to treat and/or contain mentally unstable people (which is impossible), this sort of stuf can't be prevented

what i am saying is that if one of those kids in the classrooms this madman targeted had been carrying a gun, perhaps a few parents wouldn't be grieving tonight

H2Andy:
i am certainly pro 2nd amendment and this is not my position

stuff like this can't be prevented, period.

until we figure out how to treat and/or contain mentally unstable people (which is impossible), this sort of stuf can't be prevented

what i am saying is that if one of those kids in the classrooms this madman targeted had been carrying a gun, perhaps a few parents wouldn't be grieving tonight

I am in total agreement here and my comments weren't directed at you or any other board member, my apologies if they came off that way. The other problem I see is identifying mentally unstable people, much less treating them, will more than likely require an invasion of privacy and loss of civil liberties that I personally am not willing to put up with.

Interesting double standard at work on here. Didn't take long did it?

Anyone who posts anything suggesting, however gently, that gun control might be a good idea gets told "we don't talk that stuff on here - it's politics - see ToS"

On the other hand, post something anti-gun control / pro 2nd amendment and it's A-OK - nuffink said, no worries mate.

So now tell me that this board doesn't indulge in censorship.

Please note, I have no problems with you guys expressing your opinions, that's what forums are for, I may not agree with everything you say but I respect it and know that you mostly reciprocate.

I just object to some opinions being OK to say out loud and others being censored.

*** Mod Post ***

Please.
This is the place to discuss ScubaBoard's policies. Albeit we allow much more lattitude in here lest we be accused of not listening, I will not tolerate the hijacking of this thread to discuss gun control, EITHER FOR OR AGAINST.

*** Mod Post ***

H2Andy:
do you mean soup?

please don't tell my wife they make shark soap ... she'll freak out and throw out all her asian soaps

You haven't seen Shark fin soap?? It is in the same isle as the Boxes of grid squares . . . :popcorn:

Trickie Dickie 99:
Interesting double standard at work on here. Didn't take long did it?

Anyone who posts anything suggesting, however gently, that gun control might be a good idea gets told "we don't talk that stuff on here - it's politics - see ToS"

On the other hand, post something anti-gun control / pro 2nd amendment and it's A-OK - nuffink said, no worries mate.

So now tell me that this board doesn't indulge in censorship.

Please note, I have no problems with you guys expressing your opinions, that's what forums are for, I may not agree with everything you say but I respect it and know that you mostly reciprocate.

I just object to some opinions being OK to say out loud and others being censored.

That's pretty much why this thread got started. It would be nice to have a political forum here, but I understand why there isn't one. I also think it would probably be easier in many ways to moderate than the mods think. Right now they have to make many determinations regarding political messages. I knew when I wrote my post a few posts up there was a good chance it would be moderated as it's fairly clearly against the TOS. I also tried to give a balanced view without attacking anyone which is probably why it got left alone.

Maybe in the future we can get a political subforum. It could even be introduced as a 1 day experiment so everyone can see how it goes and then shut down until all the ramifications can be digested. That would give the mods a chance to see exactly how it would work out here, if it would work out here at all, as well as come up with a set of rules more appropriate for such a forum. Might even make it a supporting members only experiment to limit down the number of people. Just a thought. After all, how much worse can it get than MOF vs NMOF thread?

TxHockeyGuy:
After all, how much worse can it get than MOF vs NMOF thread?

Whoa Whoa Whoa there buddy. . . What is bad about MOF/NMOF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom