Vip +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

opiniongirl:
And no, I haven't had the experience of finding a crack in the neck that the VIP+ missed...I don't know how that could even be possible - unless there is a malfunction - did you inform them of this?
I have not seen that happen either I was just concerned having seen more than 1 dive store "tech" totally neglect a proper visual neck inspection, instead relying on the machine

roakey:
Luxfer's position on using eddy-current devices on their newer 6061 alloy:

http://www.luxfercylinders.com/news/releases/20040204a.shtml

Reader's digest version: Don't.

Roak

Catalina, has the opposite stance (and they never had a problem) they want you to test them...

An eddy current test can produce false positives, but it will show you areas to look.. If you get a "positive", its prudent to actually verify its a crack and not a left over from the manufacturing process.. There are other conditions on both new and old tanks that produce false positives, unfortunately there are too many "vip techs" who don't really know how to do a proper VIP.

I'm a bit curious.

What is the documented correct procedure for tightening a valve into a tank?

What is the required torque?

How do most shops perform this procedure?

Is there any difference between the way valves are installed on steel vs. AL tanks?

jonnythan:
You really think it's a money thing? Go price one of those machines.

Now get a job filling tanks. Dozens, or even hundreds, a day. You will see each one of those tanks as a little bomb, and you *will* do everything you can to make sure they're not going to go BOOM on you.

They fail when getting filled, yanno. It's the dive shop monkey's butt, not yours.

This is the typical dive industry scare tactics used on many consumers for marketing purposes.

What I wonder is, How many people doing cylinder inspections really know and understand what they are doing?

android:
I'm a bit curious.

What is the required torque?

The information I have is less than completely conclusive. One tank manufacturer says to torque the valve at 50 ft lbs. while another un-named reference says to use 30 ft lbs. This seems to be in reference to aluminum tanks. I have nothing specific about torque for steel tanks.

Actually Luxfer says 75 foot pounds.. http://luxfercylinders.com/support/bulletins/20020801.shtml

I've found hand tight, then just hit the valve with the palm of your hand to go slightly past hand tight works well. I never have them leak, and they are still easy to get off then next year when it's time for an annual.

I do the hand thump too. A thump of the had takes you to 60-65 ft/lbs. Having complete metal to metal contact is the important thing.

Remember, the o-ring makes the seal not the metal and the metal to metal contact stops the 0-ring from extruding.

I really feel that the biggest FLAW in this system is the lacsdaisical traiing process employed by most LDS's. I know of only ONE LDS in the Orlando area that has a PSI trained individual on staff. Most of the others have no idea what is acceptable and what is not. They rely TOTALLY on the eddy testers and really never look beyond the neck. I sure wish that PSI certification would be as required as OW certification.

NetDoc:
SNIP / They rely TOTALLY on the eddy testers and really never look beyond the neck. I sure wish that PSI certification would be as required as OW certification.

I agree and so does the people who make the tanks

"PSI Certified Inspectors are the only visual inspector recommended by the US Dept. of Transportation and cylinder manufacturers." :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom