Vip +

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

silverbackmrb:
What is the cost of VIP+ in your area? Guess I am getting old but $16.00 seems a little high. I see need for annual inspections but after reading up on the DOT failure reports and PSI (I think it was PSI) they say it is not needed annually on tanks other than the suspect alloy. Stress cracks are part of the five year recertification process. They also stated these were easily detected by a training technician.

Alum: $7 ($5 for the viz and $2 for the vis plus)
Steel: $5 (just the vis needed)
O-Ring: $0.70-$1.00
Air: $5
Knowing that I'm not sucking any rust into my 1st stage and maybe beyond...Priceless :eyebrow:

Ann Marie:
Alum: $7 ($5 for the viz and $2 for the vis plus)
Steel: $5 (just the vis needed)
O-Ring: $0.70-$1.00
Air: $5
Knowing that I'm not sucking any rust into my 1st stage and maybe beyond...Priceless :eyebrow:

Reasonable prices :crafty: & very reasonable reason for the annual visual :wink:

android:
I'm a former Navy jet mech, and this really bothers me. Anything being tighted should be torqed to a specific value, NOT hammered by an ape. This is exactly the type of abuse that WILL lead to cracked neck threads on 6061 AL which is a strong alloy, but somewhat on the brittle side as far as AL alloys go.
It's not the threads themselves that are cracking. It's the whole neck of the cylinder. The bare metal surface of the threads just happens to be where the SLC cracks are visible when present.

Groundhog246:
android:
I'm a former Navy jet mech, and this really bothers me. Anything being tighted should be torqed to a specific value, NOT hammered by an ape. This is exactly the type of abuse that WILL lead to cracked neck threads on 6061 AL which is a strong alloy, but somewhat on the brittle side as far as AL alloys go.
It's not the threads themselves that are cracking. It's the whole neck of the cylinder. The bare metal surface of the threads just happens to be where the SLC cracks are visible when present.

SLC shows up in the sholders and the neck. Threads are just where it is visible. I have seen no evidence or documentation linking SLC and over torquing.

If you have a 6061 alloy tank - it is probably safe. Do not think that because it has never been over-torqued it is safe. Get the visual eddy and a competent inspection to be sure because as insurance goes it is pretty cheap. The majority of 60601 tanks will out live us.

medical1:
Visual are NEEDED annually on all tanks - not just the 6061 alloy. :wink:

The 6351 alloy is the one that needs testing. The eddy current machines are designed to test this particular alloy.

The 6061 alloy can show false positives which can lead to perfectly good cylinders being condemned. The 6061 alloy has never shown a problem with SLC.

I checked with PSI and the info they gave me was torque to 75 ft lbs.

Ontario Diver:
SLC shows up in the sholders and the neck. Threads are just where it is visible. I have seen no evidence or documentation linking SLC and over torquing.

The problem I see with over torqueing is sheering or damaging the threads since the both the valve and cylinder are made from soft metals. This would different from SLC.

With the diameter and length of the threads, I don't think you could put enough torque on the valve to damage them (with the valve all the way in), except maybe if you galled them, but that's usually not an issue with dis-simmilar metals. Remember, they're strong enough to keep the valve in place with 3000PSI in the cylinder (actually stronger than that, because they have to withstand hydro pressures also).

jbd:
The 6351 alloy is the one that needs testing. The eddy current machines are designed to test this particular alloy.

The 6061 alloy can show false positives which can lead to perfectly good cylinders being condemned. The 6061 alloy has never shown a problem with SLC.

I checked with PSI and the info they gave me was torque to 75 ft lbs.

Transposed the numbers / Meant to say not just the 6351 alloy :wink: My mistake due to blurry eyes from being on the CPU all day. Had the # right on my previus posts - Blonde moment :11:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom