Vintage doubles - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. The spray can job looks fine, but I think you end up wasting a bit and I suspect the coats are thinner.

That's the problem with spray cans.

The inside is a flat gray, with a matte texture to it. It looks like the inside might have been coated? I've read that some of these tanks were coated with an epoxy. Does this matte gray sound like such a coating?

I have a beautiful 1959 Healthways marked galvanized 72- looks like new- nicest tank I own- that the hydro and scuba store guys say is not coated inside. But, I can distinctly see drips inside the tank and I am convinced it is coated with a steely grey coating that fooled the hydro and scuba store guys. Hey, better for me anyway or they might insist it be needlessly tumbled otherwise. No bubbling or blisters, so we're all good to go. What they don't know won't hurt 'em, or me, or anyone else (in this case):wink:

Sounds like it. I used the spray cans of ZRC, and put a whole can on each tank. If I do it again I'll try captain's idea of rolling it on. The spray can job looks fine, but I think you end up wasting a bit and I suspect the coats are thinner.

I have always had a difficult time getting a good looking coat with spray paint. Ends up looking blotchy and uneven - and yes, I waste a lot of good paint too :) So a fine foam roller for me. They can be had in fairly small sizes too, which I think would be easier to manage on a small, rounded surface such as a tank.

I have a beautiful 1959 Healthways marked galvanized 72- looks like new- nicest tank I own- that the hydro and scuba store guys say is not coated inside. But, I can distinctly see drips inside the tank and I am convinced it is coated with a steely grey coating

That's good to know. I didn't notice any drips inside mine - but then I only took a quick look. But the surface inside those tanks looks like a coarse flat finish. Not at all like I would expect a bare steel surface to look.

I'l take another look.

Thanks,

Henrik

Still didn't notice any drips inside the tanks, but I managed to take a picture. Not great, but kinda shows what it looks like.

Henrik

It looks like the inside of a tank to me.

My first impression is that it is bare steel, but the color from the light can change the color on a picture.

I have been experimenting with different lights for taking pictures of the inside of my tanks and have found a large difference depending on the color balance of the light.

That being said, looking at the texture and the color variations, I would say that it is plain steel.

That's what mine look like inside as well, except for a few rust spots on one of them.

It looks like the inside of a tank to me.

My first impression is that it is bare steel, but the color from the light can change the color on a picture.

Thanks guys. I thought, given the manufacturing process of steel tanks, that the inside of a steel tank would have a more "worked" or smooth look that what I'm seeing.

The picture is fairly true to color (of course your monitor settings will differ :wink:). The LED light I'm using emits a fairly neutral white light.

It's a good day when you learn something new :)

Henrik

Flip the center section and J handle over and you'll be set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom