Vintage doubles - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been reading this string and do not understand your decision to not go "true vintage".....if a shortage of authentic manifolds is your road block, check out my ad in the marketplace forum under tanks, valves and bands.......I have a NOS USD manifold for sale......

Oldmossback

Mossback; The manifold that came with the tanks is in very nice condition, just needs a quick and easy cleaning and service. But thank you.

I just, at this time, don't have the skills or the desire to leave my back-up reg and wing behind. And Luis' Tech setup provides a nice way to dive a double-hose reg while still satisfying the more recent desire for redundancy, inflation etc. etc.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/vi...atest-technical-diving-regulator-phoenix.html

Henrik

Last edited:
Ok, understand, however, you only need one regulator, either the Phoenix or my Mk3....either one will provide you with an octo for backup......and a hose for your wing and spg.....1st stages and IP's on the USD design never fail.....

Does anybody know if they will hydro these old painted tanks?
I heard somewhere that they will not pass the old steel painted tanks due to hidden rust under the paint issues.
Or does that only refer to the old steels that had a coating on the inside of the tank? Can't remember exactly, any input would be appreciated.

In any event you always need to check for rust on the inside of the tanks as well as under the boots where they hold water and rust.
Otherwise a great diving setup, a techy dive service should be able to service the manifold.

Ok, understand, however, you only need one regulator.....

I know I only *need* one, but for some dives I prefer 2 1st stages :) Thanks for the clarification.

Does anybody know if they will hydro these old painted tanks?
<snip>
Otherwise a great diving setup, a techy dive service should be able to service the manifold.

The couple of places I've spoken to are fine with doing the Hydro. They won't do the work necessary to calculate the REE in order to give me the "plus" rating.

The manifold is fine, and I feel confident I can service it ok - well, I'd like a diagram before I take it apart :wink:. What I'm looking for is a different manifold with 2 outlets - one central for the double hose reg and one on a post for a second 1st stage.

Henrik

Be on the lookout for a Sherwood Twin Manifold with the duel posts your are thinking about.

SeaRat

I have one I'll sell for $120.00 shipped. I will post picture when I get home tonight.

I just had nine old tanks hydroed and visualed, all passed. Old steel tanks die hard.
It takes some serious abuse to kill one. The twin Healthways 72's looked as bad as any
tanks I've seen and both passed, they were new in "59" and "60" now back in service,
luckily I get my tanks filled for free....:wink:

I have one I'll sell for $120.00 shipped. I will post picture when I get home tonight.

Sounds great. Yes, please post pictures.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom