Vintage doubles - worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you will always be standing by when they are filled you can flip the J lever but if not, some tank jockey who knows J valves will either put it down or leave it down and you will end up with a real short fill.
The J valve got bumped down and I didn't have a reserve is the same as the I didn't check my SPG and ran out of air excuse. You can push the J rod up as easily as pulling it down, check that it is up as often as you would check our SPG.
There is no guarantee a reversed lever won't get bumped up.

Yay :)

Found a good deal. Should receive it mid-next week.

Henrik

That manifold has the space for the reserve (J valve), but I don't see it installed. The reserved lever is a black and I don't see it in that picture.

I agree about flipping the center piece so that the valve knob is up and the outlet is down.

If the second post is on the left tank it will face back, which works well for an alternate regulator. That configuration is the best way to avoid interference from the alternate regulator and a double hose in the center.

Oh, I meant that once the center section was flipped over that the J handle would be pointing to the front. So, you would need to flip the handle around to the rear again, with it down for reserve (up for dive) if you want to make it "right" in the new configuration. Some handles and stems will allow the diver to orientate the handle to the front or rear, up or down for reserve.
BTW, you want the handle down during filling in the usual configuration.

Dank it - you're right. The lever is missing. I didn't notice in the picture. Oh well - I'll have to wait and see what it looks like when it gets here.

Thanks for the advise on the lever. I've never used a valve with lever, so it's good to know what to keep an eye on.

Henrik

It is not just the lever that is missing, what you are seeing is just a plug.

The reserve mechanism was an option in those manifolds. They could be installed or removed, but I they are probably not available anymore (unless you find a used or NOS one).

It is not just the lever that is missing, what you are seeing is just a plug.

Hmmm. I've seen similar looking Sherwood Selpac single valves on eBay and such. Might the J-lever and parts from such a valve fit the manifold?

If not, I'm guessing not having the lever means no "reserve" gas with a lever pull. But it wouldn't prevent me from "accessing" those last 500 or so PSI of gas, would it? I'd think the entire reserve mechanism would have to be removed and as such the valve would now function similar to a K-valve.

Thanks,

Henrik

Really? I thought that was a chrome J lever with the arm hidden to the rear in the photo. Oh, well. Hope you can find the parts to get the J up and running if that is what you want. Sounds like it will work as just a regular through elbow if it is set up as Luis describes.

At this point that is a K valve. With the plug it works just as open elbow.

The reserve units are the same between this twin tank manifold (Part Number: SVB4000KD) and the single tank valve (Part number: SVB4000J). See list below.

I will send you the service manual (in PDF format) for all Sherwood valves when I have a chance.

Here is the list from their service manual:

PARTS LIST FOR ALL RESERVE ASSEMBLIES
Item Number --- Part Number--- Description
1---- 3839-5---- Pin
2---- 4000-90M--- Cam and block assembly
3---- 1322-14---- Stem
4* -----G010A ----O-ring
5* -----3506-7 ----Teflon ring
6* ----G113A ----O-ring
7 ----1-1322-16 -----Bonnet nut
8 ----4000-3 ----Lever (ribbed style)
9 -----1389-5 -----Lever (smooth style)
10 -----3506-22 -----Spring
11 ----1-3506-8 -----Nut

I don’t believe that Sherwood ever made a chrome reserve lever for their valves. The Dacor valves (and maybe a few others) with the chrome reserve lever were made by Sherwood, but those predate when Sherwood started selling Scuba gear directly.
Even the Lever (smooth style), Part Number: 1389-5, is black plastic.

I have several of those manifolds and they are great. I did two great dives yesterday with two sets of small twin tanks (double 45). It was great, I was testing a new prototype regulator that I designed and built and I had a totally independent regular. I did a dive to 98 ft and everything worked as planned.

I think that I even have one of those manifolds that has a reserve, that I am not using, but I am not ready just yet to give up the reserve. If I find a second one I will be glad to trade you the reserve for the plug. I don’t dive reserve valves anymore, but I like to keep a couple of tanks with reserve valves just in case I decide to use one.

At this point that is a K valve. With the plug it works just as open elbow.

Thanks for the clarification, manual and parts info Luis.

I'll probably be ok diving this as a K-valve :)

I'll post some pictures when I receive it.

Henrik

If the second post is on the left tank it will face back, which works well for an alternate regulator. That configuration is the best way to avoid interference from the alternate regulator and a double hose in the center.

This is what it looks like:

TankandRegsTop.jpg

Back
Top Bottom