Vintage dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had two Bug Lights. One of them nearly exploded on my coffee table due to a short. Duracell Alkalines can pump out the power. The thing was smoking and was on fire. The other one I gave to a friend for display though it was fully functional.

N

The Allen lights were pretty standard for nj diver in the early 70's. The 10 D-cells tended to blow the GE 500 bullbs too easily. We use to short out one slot and run 8 batteries.. the bulbs liked that much better.

---------- Post Merged at 04:15 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 AM -------
... ---------- Post Merged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:10 AM ----------

This stroll down memory lane made me curious. Googling “darrell allan dive light” turned this up:

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/accsview.html

Scroll down a little past half-way and you see both your light and the Darrell Allan.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You are so correct-- I glanced at the picture and though therewas someting wrong with the image possibly distortion had been distortion in the camera. So with out a closer look determined it was an Allan light.

What I get for early morning post...it is currently 4:00 AM in Kalifornia..

SDM

---------- Post Merged at 04:18 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 AM ----------

The Allen lights were pretty standard for nj diver in the early 70's. The 10 D-cells tended to blow the GE 500 bullbs too easily. We use to short out one slot and run 8 batteries.. the bulbs liked that much better.[
/QUOTE]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I do not recall shorting out a total slot but I California where Allen Lights were made we always placed an dead battery in the system therefore operated on 9 D cells rather than 10 .
sdm

---------- Post Merged at 04:39 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:01 AM ----------

After all this years the Navy is finally replacing the traditional Battle Lanterns to a new type of LED Battle Lanterns. They are being installed in at least two new classes of ships (the DDG1000 and both versions of the LCS class ships).

I don’t know if the type you found on the internet is the same Navy approved LED Battle Lantern, but it could be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Luis
Immediately after WW11 there seemed to be a huge surplus of WW11 battle lanterns and batteries which could be purchased at bargin prices..They were of a different configeration than the battle lantern which is displayed.
'
Some one in the small tribe discovered that the shipboard connector was the same size as a US nickel so a nickel was silver soldered or brass brazed in the space, the inside wires disconnected and or re routed (can't recall how)

The only leak point was the switch which was water-proofed via a huge tire patch which was inserted under the switch and folded over like a huge taco shell and the oposing sides were glued together.

The three main problems with this system was 1) battery life 2) the number of screws required to change the battery and 3) the weight and size of the unit.

I published an article about 15 years ago in the US San Diego based "Discover Diving" titled "Ye ole Night light." Interesting that the early days diving lights were IDed as "Night lights." It is burreid somewhere in my stack ..

SDM

Original-WWII-U-S-Navy-Battle-Lanterns-111x148.jpg

This is the old WW II Battle Lantern which was replaced by plastic one below. They were still in service in the '60's as I served on a ship that still had them.

navylite.jpg

I just got my hands on a Darrell Allen light and am doing a rebuild modification since the battery holder was trashed. I will be converting to an LED if it works out, more to come later.

Bob
-------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

…I just got my hands on a Darrell Allen light and am doing a rebuild modification since the battery holder was trashed. I will be converting to an LED if it works out, more to come later...

One of mine has a reflector that has all the plating eroded off from leaking batteries. Any idea where I could find a reflector? I am confident that they did not make them.

One of mine has a reflector that has all the plating eroded off from leaking batteries. Any idea where I could find a reflector? I am confident that they did not make them.

I was looking for the battery pack and a reflector, mine has some damage, and found nothing. The parts were probably "off the shelf" at the time but it dosen't look like anyone uses that stuff now. The largest battery pack I found was 8 cell and ads for we will manufacture to your spec but 500 and up minimum. If you find any, buy two, I'll do the same.

Bob
-----------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
I still have my Dive Bright. AL houseing painted yellow. Peeling paint, all banged up from hunderds of dives. If I put the required 10 D-Cells in it I could take it diving tonight. The plexiglass cover cracked long ago from over tighting. I had a 3/4" thick replacement made for it. It can probably go deeper than the rated 200fsw. I've seen what looked like a Darrell Allen Dive Bright with a plastic body, same size,cover and look as a DA/DB. Don't know if it was but it sure looked like one.

The Darrell Allen light was also sold as the "Bug Light" and as stated was a 10 D cell light in a cast aluminum housing and latter in a plastic housing. It worked great as a hammer when needed to open clams, scallops, etc. on the bottom, boat or dock. I have seen a DIY LED conversion that put 3 LED's into the housing.

P1012370.jpg

That would be the one I just aquired. More to come after the UW test and completion.

--------------------------added------------------------------
Click on the pic to get something you can actually see.

Bob
------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

"Farallon" I've found did produce a dive light (s) found plenty of facts on DPVs but no lights any thoughts?

BJ is this what your looking for?Also I believe the first Allen light wasn't cylinder shaped. But a rectangle shaped aluminum box that went to a round head. I had one and gave it to a freind. I am trying to get him to send some pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom