Vintage dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is so funny... I had that Farralon light and the Bug Diver Light.. Found the rechargable light on a wreck.

The Darrell Allen light was also sold as the "Bug Light" and as stated was a 10 D cell light in a cast aluminum housing and latter in a plastic housing. It worked great as a hammer when needed to open clams, scallops, etc. on the bottom, boat or dock. I have seen a DIY LED conversion that put 3 LED's into the housing.

It's a rugged design for sure. After spacing and taping the 10D cells it worked for me for years. The switch needed TLC cleaning and lube. Sand would interfer with the sliding magnetic switch, next to the D-cells losing contact, the switch sticking was the biggest problem. It did go thru blubs, I always had a few spares.

Nice light Bob! I'd be embarressed to post a pic of mine!

Thanks Mike spot on , the rectangle lantern you mentioned maybe the one on the Bay now under Aquacraft? or could it be a "Divex" Known as the hammer with light attached AQUA CRAFT.jpgDIVEX THE HAMMER WITH LIGHT ATTACHED.JPG!!

View attachment 131964

That would be the one I just aquired. More to come after the UW test and completion.

--------------------------added------------------------------
Click on the pic to get something you can actually see.

Bob
------------------------------------
Always use the right tool for the job. A hammer is the right tool for any job. Anything can be used as a hammer.

Bob, I updated mine with a new LED bulb I got from eBay: 12V 24V SMD LED Light Bulb Lamp E10 Mini Edison Screw | eBay screws right in no modification needed. 12v - 24v 1.8W High Power 15 SMD LED Spot Light Lamp Light

in 6400k Cool Day White ,with E10 Miniature screw base
Emits no Heat .!! Super Energy Saving .
Works from 8V - 30V for both AC and DC
Has a lot of power now.

Bill

Hello Bj,I have the Aquacraft one. The one I gave to a friend was different than both. It was yellow also.I am working on getting pics.Here a pics of some others aluminum ones. The orange one has National Divers San Jose Cal on it. The other is a Oceanic.

Last edited:
Bob, I updated mine with a new LED bulb I got from eBay: 12V 24V SMD LED Light Bulb Lamp E10 Mini Edison Screw | eBay screws right in no modification needed. 12v - 24v 1.8W High Power 15 SMD LED Spot Light Lamp Light

in 6400k Cool Day White ,with E10 Miniature screw base
Emits no Heat .!! Super Energy Saving .
Works from 8V - 30V for both AC and DC
Has a lot of power now.

Bill

If I don't like the one I picked up I'll give it a try. Thanks

Bob
---------------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Hello Mike,Good to see these early units what year? Found this today on the bay(Dacor) Lantern date? and another(Navy)not vintage 1993 a few weeks ago DACOR POWERBRITE.JPGRN NAVY LIGHT 1993.jpg

Hello BJ the light s I showed I would guess 1970's. Those are cool looking lights you have. I saw the Dacor light but to high for me.

Hi, I picked up a dive bright 500 at Good Will for $5.00 and it has been sitting on a shelf on my porch as a dispay item. Back when I was in college it was my dream light. I have a couple of questions about it that you gents might be able to help me with. At the back of the lamp there is a part missing that would screw in. My guess has been that it was either a port for recharging a bank of NiCad or an external power cable for continious use. Any ideas on that? I have not seen any pics that show this part, surprisingly. Also it there any way to tell in the switch works other than forking over for 10 D-cells?

Another thought would be to covert it to a LED. are there any reasonable ways to do that for a realistic amount? This is very boss looking lamp and would go well with my more retro dive gear.

A final question is about my Ikelite Mini "c" that I bought in the early '80s. The housing is in great condition, but the copper contacts are shot. Any suggestions on where I might get parts? Ikelite has the parts list and drawings, but they don't do retail and I don'tr even know if they make lights anymore.dive gear (vintage) 002.jpgdive gear (vintage) 003.jpgdive gear (vintage) 007.jpg

Here are some pics of the Dive Bright. It looks like it never got wet inside.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom