Vintage dive lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

regulator bj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
In the process of collating time line on dive lights came across these two lanterns any help would be appreciated Thanks. USPEC USA.JPGUS NAVY 1950.JPG

The square one is not a true dive light although in the past it has been used as such, I am not sure to what depth it is waterproof, it is a Navy emergency ship's lantern used by fire fighters and rescue or when ever the ship may lose electrial power. They are located throughout ships.

I have seen both of them. The first looks to be from the 70's. The Captain is correct.The second one isn't really a dive light. I saw them stationed on Subs when I worked on them in the early 80's for general dynamics. They were used on other Navy ships also.I think they started in the 60's or eariler. I have a brown one. I'll try and get a pic on.

Last edited:
Agree with the Captain ...

The light colored one in the corner is a Darrel Alen Light made in northern California..1970s.

The bright yellow one is a late model "Battle Lantern" made for the US armed services - Probably USN. With some minor water proofing modification it can be used as a dive light.

Both lights are very hard on batteries.

What else do you need?

SDM

The earliest dive light like this I saw was made by Allen Engineering in Belmont, California. I have a model 500B. The trade name was Dive Bright, was welded aluminum 4" OD tubing, and an 8¼" overall. The handle and rear-end cap were cast aluminum while the body and screw-flange were made from tubing and machined ½" plate. All the models I saw had a magnetic switch, 4" reflector, and 10 D-cells. I also have a later model that is all cast aluminum with the name Darrel Allen Corporation in the casting and a label inside with an address in Healdsburg, California. Both have a ½" x 4.475" diameter Plexiglas lens with 6 #6-32 stainless pan-head straight-slot screws and machined O-ring groove. The 500B model had a fabricated battery holder while the newer model as an injection-molded plastic holder.

They were by-far the most rugged and reliable lights of the day. The proportions of your light look different than the ones I have. It could be an earlier model, was inspired by these, inspired them, or was developed independently. The design was not especially clever or unique, rather than looking like the result of someone who was tired of the leaking plastic junk on the market with sealed beams. I don’t recall the price but it was much more expensive than the competitors.

I can’t remember if the 500B model came painted, anodized, or raw Aluminum. I painted mine blue and cannot detect any paint under it… though it is peeling all over. The later cast-aluminum model came painted yellow including the O-ring seating area. The paint is too soft for powder coating, which was pretty new in the early 1970s. I don’t recall ever seeing the USPEC Company.

What kind of switch and batteries does your use?

---------- Post Merged at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:10 AM ----------

This stroll down memory lane made me curious. Googling “darrell allan dive light” turned this up:

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/accsview.html

Scroll down a little past half-way and you see both your light and the Darrell Allan.

BTW, that Navy lamp you show is still being installed on Naval Vessels, except they ususally have rechargable cells now and are mounted for emergency lighting. They may also be used as portables light. I think we referred to them as Lanterns in the 1970s.

I had one of the Allen Lights in the 1970s, and made a dive on a reef off Yaquina Bay, Oregon. Unfortunately, I put it down and then got distracted, and swam off. I never saw it again. But other than battery corrosion, I'm sure it is still intact and around somewhere.

I received a second Allen Light, which because of corrosion I still need to clean up and get in order, but I have it. So sometime later this summer it will probably get wet.

My LDS also has one, but it is now connected to an air source and has a pressure gauge on it. They put a depth gauge into it, seal it and pressurize it to test the accuracy of depth gauges.

SeaRat

I still have my Dive Bright. AL houseing painted yellow. Peeling paint, all banged up from hunderds of dives. If I put the required 10 D-Cells in it I could take it diving tonight. The plexiglass cover cracked long ago from over tighting. I had a 3/4" thick replacement made for it. It can probably go deeper than the rated 200fsw. I've seen what looked like a Darrell Allen Dive Bright with a plastic body, same size,cover and look as a DA/DB. Don't know if it was but it sure looked like one.

Acting on the above input information did some digging on the web and find the square lantern is know as a "BATTLE LANTERN" typed in on "Google a mind of info plus a company which still makes them in LED form plus an early type in on the bay Thanks once again from the uk

After all this years the Navy is finally replacing the traditional Battle Lanterns to a new type of LED Battle Lanterns. They are being installed in at least two new classes of ships (the DDG1000 and both versions of the LCS class ships).

I don’t know if the type you found on the internet is the same Navy approved LED Battle Lantern, but it could be.

Back
Top Bottom