Viking Ring System Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm being told to have the ring system installed in these new suits.
Assuming "classics," what exactly do you mean by installed? Glued to to the suits or fitted to the suits and clicked into place? There is not need to glue, click fit permits easy field replacement of wrist seals.

Assuming "classics," what exactly do you mean by installed? Glued to to the suits or fitted to the suits and clicked into place? There is not need to glue, click fit permits easy field replacement of wrist seals.

I don't get it? :confused:

I thought the glued to the suit rings allowed for field replacement of the wrist seals, and the click fit just went over the wrist seals that are glued to the suit.

The only advantage to click fit classic rings I see is to provide attached dry gloves on a standart suit with glues on wrist seals. You can get the same thing using the bayonet (sp?) ring system.

I don't get it? :confused:

I thought the glued to the suit rings allowed for field replacement of the wrist seals, and the click fit just went over the wrist seals that are glued to the suit.

The only advantage to click fit classic rings I see is to provide attached dry gloves on a standart suit with glues on wrist seals. You can get the same thing using the bayonet (sp?) ring system.
Perhaps I'm confused or unclear.

When I went to Viking for training (and this was some years ago) they put the inner ring in to "form" the sleeve and then glued the wrist seal to the suit. Once dry, they clicked the outer cuff over it all and you could pull dry gloves on and off over the outer cuff.

We found that gluing the wrist seal was unnecessary and stopped doing so, just holding it on with the clicked outer cuff.

Ok, I didn't know that. The last suit I had, the outer rubber ring appeared to be glued/attached to the sleeve and the wrist seal was held in place by snaping the hard plastic inner ring in and trapping the laytex wrist seal between it and the inside of the sleeve.

Me thinks there is more than one way to skin a cat. :eyebrow:

My rep got back to me and said that my suit would have to go back to the factory to get the ring system installed. I questioned him on this since the manual on the website indicates that the system can be installed three different ways. A.) It can be glued directly to the suit which must be done by and "Authorized" installer, B.) it can be installed on a latex cuff without the rubber ring and C.) it can be installed with the rubber ring. The instructions seem pretty straight forward to me. I have included the link to the PDF. Please if I am mistaken someone let me know. Also if there is a preferred way that all of you out there like please pass it along.

Thanks,

Mark D.

http://www.trelleborg.com/protective/images/Bayonet_Glove_System_040113_copy.pdf

I have just installed the bayonet connector to the wrist seals and it worked just fine. Of course it did not stop the rotted sleeve seam from leaking and soaking my arm. :D

I suggest you use the suit as is and attach the bayonet kit to the attached rings. Just follow the directions in the kit.

Also, get your bayonet kit from Bob3. You will get a much better price on it than who ever that is you are purchasing your suit through.

We sell a lot of the Bayonet Ring Systems, most folks are using them to add rings to a suit already equipped with cuffs.
If you already have what we like to call the "Classic" outer rubber rings glued to the suit you're all set, you do not need to send the suit back to the factory.
To mount the Bayonet Rings to a suit with the Classic's rubber rings permanently attached, the sleeve end ring (widest of the latching rings) is just jammed inside the rubber ring (use a lot of spit, or aloe vera gel for the squeamish)

"Classic" rings, outer rubber on the right side.

viking_classic.jpg

I've gotten into the habit of yanking the instruction sheet out of the bags & sending it to the "recycle bin".
One of my customers was bribed with a free pair of gloves to make up a nice little pictorial instruction set specific to adding the rings to a suit with existing cuffs.
The instruction set can be seen at:
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=192634

The wide black rings (in with the colored rings) are used for mounting cuffs inside the rings when used with a permanently attached ring system.

viking_bayonet1.jpg

We used the bayonet gloves for about a year and abandoned them for a style like what Gary uses. The guys like them much better - they ARE faster and easier to don

I suspect that no one has ordered the bayonet rings because the rings are a hard plastic that looks brittle and the seal is a small O ring in the connection. .

True, we haven't broken any but it would only be a matter of time especially in freezing temps (even the other type will break but probably not as much). What we also found is that they tend to get jammed with dirt really bad preventing a good seal - lots of leaks this way.

Like Bob3 said, we use the "Classic" style we bought from him with our suits. A couple of the guys bought the bayonet style and ended up going back to the classic style.. K.I.S.S. is a term that comes to mind while thinking of the classic style. Only wish we knew sooner about the whole glue the outer ring directly to the sleeve to use the inner ring as a replaceable wrist seal system...Oh, well live and learn.

Well it seems official. My rep got back to me after I emailed him the Viking instruction sheet and he still says the factory says it has to go back for the bayonet. I have told him I will take the suit as is.

Bob3. When I get the suit I will see what I have and contact you about what I will need for the bayonet system. Thanks to all for the info.

I guess this means that even when the "factory" is involved it is always buyer be ware!!

Mark D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom