Viking Ring System Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dittrimd

Force Fin Diver
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK so my new PRO1000 is in. It turns out due to some confusion with terminology my suit came with the standard sleeve rings instead of the bayonet ring system I thought I was ordering. I asked the rep about getting it added to the order and he said that he would check but believed there was a specific reason why none of the previous Viking suits he has order for PSD's came with the standard rings vs. bayonet. He said he was sure it was not just a cost issue rather an operation issue.

Anyone have any comment about htis? Thanks

Mark D.

Gary, I'm surprised you say that. I can get into my Viking rings just as fast as any of my dive buddies can get into any of their dry gloves, including the OS Systems ones.

Gary, I'm surprised you say that. I can get into my Viking rings just as fast as any of my dive buddies can get into any of their dry gloves, including the OS Systems ones.

I was refering to the OS and Viking style of cuffs over standard cuffs and not compairing the two. Both are good units and cost about the same. :wink:

Gary D.

The Viking bayonet connectors can actually connect to the suit using the standard Viking cuff rings. Follow the included instruction and you will end up with the bayonet rings attached inside the sleeve ring. The bayonet system is way better than the old sleeve rings if you have to put your gloves on yourself.

I suspect that no one has ordered the bayonet rings because the rings are a hard plastic that looks brittle and the seal is a small O ring in the connection. This is not a proven method of sealing in the industry (PSD group that is) and due to the fact that the rings are usually attached over the standard laytex wrist seal they might not be viewed as dependable by the older, wiser PSD divers.

Mud,

Thanks for the info. That was my assumption since the rep did not know what I was talking about and had to email him the Viking PDF for the Bayonet system. A combination of cost and lack of knowledge about the system is probably why they have not sold any. Since this one is on my department I am going to go with the Bayonets.

Thanks to all,

Mark

If the Viking rep doesn't get it sorted out for you, Bob3 is a Viking vender and can help you out. He has a good stock of bayonet kits and can probly give you better avice than any of us.

Muddiver is 100% correct (as usual), the sleeve "rings" can be used with either of Viking's ring systems.
We fit out the Stanislaus County Sheriff's Dive Team with Vikings & they went with the "Classic" ring version & leave their gloves attached all the time.
You can still use cuffs along with the gloves with either system, a wise precaution.
So far we haven't heard of anyone breaking any of the sleeve or glove rings so they must be pretty robust.

I'm about to order two pro 1000. our other suits have the ring system that we put on as we suit up. I'm being told to have the ring system installed in these new suits. I'm new to all of this drysuit stuff and am hopefully going to get trained on them in jan or feb. So should I have the ring system installed or not. any info is greatly appreciated. Ken

I'm about to order two pro 1000. our other suits have the ring system that we put on as we suit up. I'm being told to have the ring system installed in these new suits. I'm new to all of this drysuit stuff and am hopefully going to get trained on them in jan or feb. So should I have the ring system installed or not. any info is greatly appreciated. Ken

If you're a Rescue Team Installed. If you're a Recovery Team it doesn't matter.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom