Video: Amazing Point Lobos dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, great videos and great dives! It's really good to hear about the conditions, I really hope that they continue for everyone over the holiday break.

Thanks for sharing, and taunting us with such nice footage.

What camera are you using? Is this your Flip Ultra HD? You sure can hold that thing still. I built a two-handle tray for it so we'll see how it works out. Have you tried the JVC GS-FM1 yet? I dove that most recently and will likely use it instead of the Flips but still, I'm not sure how you were able to get so close to the leopard sharks, they are so skiddish most of the time. Looks like I need to get out to Lobos sometime.

Ken -As usual.. awesome footage!! I have only managed to see the swipe of ones tail and he was gone!
Interesting that they were so far into the cove-wonder if they were attracted by the krill,or what feeds on it?

Hey Drew,

Brief glimpses are what we usually see too. I think they may have been hanging around because of the fish heads I stuck in my buddy's pockets :wink:

Wow, great videos and great dives! It's really good to hear about the conditions, I really hope that they continue for everyone over the holiday break

We just need the current pattern to hold - stormy during the week and laying down for the weekend. It looks like it's gonna be close this weekend...

What camera are you using? Is this your Flip Ultra HD? You sure can hold that thing still. I built a two-handle tray for it so we'll see how it works out. Have you tried the JVC GS-FM1 yet? I dove that most recently and will likely use it instead of the Flips but still, I'm not sure how you were able to get so close to the leopard sharks, they are so skiddish most of the time. Looks like I need to get out to Lobos sometime.

Hey Shawn. Yep, this is with the Flip UltraHD. It really shines in bright light (like yesterday), but in darker conditions, the video quality starts to get muddy and smeared, fast. As to holding it steady, I'd like to say how awesome I am in the water, but in reality I cheat: I've got the 0.56x wide angle conversion lens, which gives a roughly 21mm focal length (on the surface), much much easier to handhold.

I say your night dive vid with the JVC, it's really quite impressive and much better than the Flip. If there was some manual control over metering, it might be possible to shoot night vids with the Flip.

My only other leopard shark encounter was also a brief glimpse and then a streak out of sight. Maybe they just had a big meal.

Hi Kenn,

Ah what a fantastic dive & video thanks for sharing. I love how it transitioned from doubles/deco bottles to amazing critters ;-). 2+ hour bottom time I'm getting jealous or inspired (not sure which) :).

Ken,

By far this happens to be one of your most inspiring dives for me because of the encounter with the Leopards. You simply capture the moment. Thanks for sharing. And keep up the great work.

Mike Guerrero

Still never seen one and you get to see like 7. Figures. :p

Drysuit is off for repairs but I may go out for a wetsuit dive next week with my doubles. Should be interesting as Ive got no idea how much lead ill need :D.

Wow, Kenn!! That was a great video! Every video you post makes me really look forward to our trip there over New Years weekend....thanks for posting! Very cool sharks :D

Hey guys,

This isn't the first time Ken has captured the moment with Leopards. I am kinda of thinking Ken is up to something, why is it that when he dives he sees and videos sharks?

Could he be chumming the water in some way that we don't know? :wink:

Ive heard pee can attract sharks... maybe Kenn and crew chuck a few gallons of water on the way down to Monterey, and then put the pee valves to use.

Back
Top Bottom