Various common component weights - such a thread?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KarolinaKid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've done various searches on the board here and not found what I was looking for. Granted, my search expertise is not what it could be, but here goes...

I was wondering if there is a thread, sticky or otherwise, that may have a list of various common component weights that one could use in determining proper weighting either for planning dives or even the purchase of said components while planning new gear acquisition. For example...What is the actual weight of an Apeks steel back plate?...or a Dive right aluminum back plate...or what is the weight of an OMS single tank adapter?...or a particular camera enclosure?...or various lights? I can weigh the components I have or look at manufacturers specs to find out, but I was wondering if a list of weights of common components built from the many contributors / members would be helpful at all?

Not sure if this is the right forum to post this in, but was curious and thought I would give it a shot.

By and large weight or more important the buoyancy properties are seldom published. The notable exception is cylinder properties.

Also for the many components in a set of dive gear and the varying properties of items such as neoprene over it's lifetime would make any theoretical value no better than a good guess.

The in the water weight check is the gold standard. More on weights here.

Pete

I think, starting from my limited experience, that trying to calculate the correct amount of lead for a particular dive considering all the gear you will be carrying, the exposure suit you will use and, of course, your body, is a calculation with too many unknown values that the result will be, at least, unusable.
The exact volume variation of your exposure suit with depth is a point that you need to know with accuracy. Even more, if you are using a drysuit, what about your undergarments, how do they change volume with external pressure, how much have you eaten or drunk that day, have you pee and/or poo prior to that dive ? Too many unknown values.
Besides, 1 or 2 pounds more or less makes little difference, and the smallest weight is 2 pounds.
The best way to calculate weighing is a combination of experience and buoyancy test.

P.S. I'm a naval architect.

As above, and...

"A camera set-up" will weigh what you decide. Some like a little positive buoyancy so they'll float up to the surface if you drop them (This has worked well for cameras lost in Curacao).

Some folks like them a bit negative.

It's all about adding ballast weights to get your desired result.

Because it may be dropped or intentionally passed to another diver, it should be considered as a neutral item in any calculation.

Thanks for reminding me.
Change my clocks, change my smoke alarms batteries, oh, I already wired them in to the house.
Take photo's, and weigh recent additions to dive gear, add to inventory and notify insurance company.

S/S backplate 1/4 inch, 11 pounds bare, of unobtainium. Click.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom