Valve removal and replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yikes...

Ok, lets keep this simple.

1. The tank valve screws on and off like a lightbulb. Dead simple.

2. A completely empty tank worries some people filling, and they might insist on a vis. Why I have no frigging idea, because you can look in the dang tank with a penlight and see if the thing is corroded. I do it all the time.

3. Moistened air will NOT "ruin" a tank. At least not in the kind of time frame we're talking about here. Leave it in the rain for a year with the valve off and you might have a case.

4. You do NOT have to use anti-sieze on the threads, but it is a good idea. Just get a bit of christolube and dab it on the bottom few threads of the valve before screwing the valve in. Easy as you please.

5. If you drain the tank do it SLOWLY. Like just crack the valve and let it seep out. If you feel the temperature of the tank dropping much, you're going to fast.

6. This won't matter for this application, but not all tanks seal well with just a hand-tightened valve. The Worthingtons were blowing neck o-rings this way. Snug plus half a turn. Or re-condition the o-ring land.

PerroneFord:
3. Moistened air will NOT "ruin" a tank. At least not in the kind of time frame we're talking about here. Leave it in the rain for a year with the valve off and you might have a case.

I have wondered where this BS came from myself. I suspose an unprotected steel tank may corrode but an AL tank would be fine submerged in fresh water for long periods much less just opened to the air for a few days.

I have an assortment of opened tanks, both steel and aluminum, in my warehouse that have been opened for over a year with no signs of corrosion or rust.

PerroneFord:
4. You do NOT have to use anti-sieze on the threads, but it is a good idea. Just get a bit of christolube and dab it on the bottom few threads of the valve before screwing the valve in. Easy as you please.

I beg to disagree. Many aluminum tanks have had their valves seize and then their threads ripped out when removing the valve. Remember galvanic action; two dis-similar metals (brass/aluminum) immersed in an electrolyte (salt water). Luxfer recommends the use of Dow 111 to prevent this from occurring.

Leadking:
I beg to disagree. Many aluminum tanks have had their valves seize and then their threads ripped out when removing the valve. Remember galvanic action; two dis-similar metals (brass/aluminum) immersed in an electrolyte (salt water). Luxfer recommends the use of Dow 111 to prevent this from occurring.

I should have pointed out that this was application specific. I don't think he needs to re-apply christolube post-flight to be able to use his pony bottle. Presumably it has a lubricant on it already. I use it at vis time, but I do NOT relube the valve every time I pop it off to have a look in the tanks.

Can Dow 111, be used in an oxygen cleaned cylinder?

I think I may just buy the darned thing there, and take it apart when I come home. Then, I can deal with any issues later. Thanks all.

PerroneFord:
Yikes...

Ok, lets keep this simple.

1. The tank valve screws on and off like a lightbulb. Dead simple.

2. A completely empty tank worries some people filling, and they might insist on a vis. Why I have no frigging idea, because you can look in the dang tank with a penlight and see if the thing is corroded. I do it all the time.

5. If you drain the tank do it SLOWLY. Like just crack the valve and let it seep out. If you feel the temperature of the tank dropping much, you're going to fast.

6. This won't matter for this application, but not all tanks seal well with just a hand-tightened valve. The Worthingtons were blowing neck o-rings this way. Snug plus half a turn. Or re-condition the o-ring land.

I pretty much look at my pony tank the same way. I found that on my Alu 13cu tank that I can just "bang" the valve open or closed with my hand with no problems.

So far I have not had anybody ask for a new visual even starting from scratch (no air in tank) - to be honest most ops just connect the whip and start to fill.

bolantej:
I think I may just buy the darned thing there, and take it apart when I come home. Then, I can deal with any issues later. Thanks all.

Why don't you inquire and see if you can rent? In some destinations like Florida, it may be cheaper to buy it there, but it others, you may not be able to find one.

TheRedHead:
Why don't you inquire and see if you can rent? In some destinations like Florida, it may be cheaper to buy it there, but it others, you may not be able to find one.

that is an option as well. thanks for the thought.

PerroneFord:
...Can Dow 111, be used in an oxygen cleaned cylinder?

No, you must use Cristolube.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom