Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vayu:
Stroke debate!
Shame on you! You haven't been diving enough to know how to spell that word son, bless your little heart.<G>

Adobo:
I thought you were a solo diver because you got banished from the DIR forum.

No. It's because the rest of us up here Rule Oned JeffG.

However we do apply Rule 17 (It's okay to drink beer with strokes if they bring it.)

nadwidny:
No. It's because the rest of us up here Rule Oned JeffG.

However we do apply Rule 17 (It's okay to drink beer with strokes if they bring it.)
Which reminds me. I need another copy of the Halifax video.

There's actually some very cool stuff coming out late in this thread, although I'm not sure it's very closely related to my original questions. The value of standardization is closely tied to the value of DIR, since standardization -- of gear, gases, procedures and skills -- is the core of DIR. The question of WHAT should be standardized, and to what DEGREE it should be standardized, is actually a very good one.

GUE standardizes to minutiae -- How do you attach the bolt snaps to your light head? 5thD-X teaches (or at least Joe does) that you standardize anything with impact on the team, but you allow personal preference on things that have no significant impact. Thus exactly how you decide to clip off your lighthead, as long as it has the desired result (nobody gets blinded) is your issue, as is whether you run the light cord over or under the long hose.

Frankly, I like Joe's approach.

I've had the very strange and stressful experience of diving with someone who was having serious buoyancy problems, and when I tried to help him, his inflator was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Instead of buttons, it had colored plastic plates you pressed to active the inflate and deflate. I had no IDEA which was which. This was a case where wide variance definitely impeded the safety and pleasure of our dive.

Does everybody have to dive a BP/W with the same inflator? No. But I think everybody should dive some kind of long hose/necklaced secondary setup, because I just think that enlarges the "safety sphere" for everybody on the dive.

TSandM:
I've had the very strange and stressful experience of diving with someone who was having serious buoyancy problems, and when I tried to help him, his inflator was the weirdest thing I've ever seen. Instead of buttons, it had colored plastic plates you pressed to active the inflate and deflate. I had no IDEA which was which. This was a case where wide variance definitely impeded the safety and pleasure of our dive.

Well if he couldn't work the two buttons then I say press one of them, it should be a pretty short trial and error session until you have it figured out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSandM

dumpsterDiver:
Well if he couldn't work the two buttons then I say press one of them, it should be a pretty short trial and error session until you have it figured out.

Was it the "HE" who had the problem???

Maybe the moral to that story is experience with a variety of equipment configurations is an advantage not a disadvantage. The more experience one has in handling a wide variety of situations makes one more confident and more capable of dealing with the unexpected. Hard to argue that huh!!?!

Oh, I'll admit I wasn't helping much. I had never seen an inflator like his. By the time I tried all the surfaces of it to figure out what they did, we were on the surface anyway. We probably should have gone over it before the dive. Frankly, it's easier if everybody has the same stuff :)

Back
Top Bottom