Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM:
We probably should have gone over it before the dive. Frankly, it's easier if everybody has the same stuff :)

Yes, you should have gone over the equipment before the dive. Is that not part of EVERY agencies predive planning? I can not imagine that an inflator could be difficult? I've seen a lot, and they all have had two buttons.. inflate, dump? If the dude was so new that he was not familiar with how his inflator worked, maybe he should be doing more training with a qualified instructor?

It's easier if everyone has WHAT same stuff? And there is the rub, who is to say WHAT people should dive? Where does that leave manufactures in respect to new innovation?

RonFrank:
Yes, you should have gone over the equipment before the dive. Is that not part of EVERY agencies predive planning? I can not imagine that an inflator could be difficult? I've seen a lot, and they all have had two buttons.. inflate, dump? If the dude was so new that he was not familiar with how his inflator worked, maybe he should be doing more training with a qualified instructor?

It's easier if everyone has WHAT same stuff? And there is the rub, who is to say WHAT people should dive? Where does that leave manufactures in respect to new innovation?
I've seen some pretty strange setups ... not all of them are intuitive, and not all of them are designed to be manipulated with gloves on.

To my concern, scuba equipment manufacturers should implement some standardization when it comes to safety-related devices ... and inflator/deflators are safety-related devices.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Well, he was brand new, and I did send him off to work with an instructor, after a half hour of work couldn't get him close enough to neutral to do ANY diving.

How many people closely inspect their buddy's inflator to see how the buttons work before they dive?

Anyway, I've already said that it was an error, and one I learned from.

I don't want to sound too critical, but yes I do look at the other guy's inflator and also where the octopus or safe second is. I also note if they have suicide clips, if they have a weight belt (or integrated weight) and I often go so far as to check if the over pressure relief caps on their BC are screwed down tight.I also naturally look at their weight belt to determine if I think they have way too much lead on. These are all habits that I picked up after seeing too many things as a dive master.

TSandM:
How many people closely inspect their buddy's inflator to see how the buttons work before they dive?

On the first dive of the day I go through an extended buddy check that includes testing the power inflator as well as manually inflating and then deflating the BCD. I just see which button they press, works for me. I'm not nearly as anal on subsequent buddy checks, but maybe I should be.

Getting back to the original post, I think we just found some more values for DIR in the rec world.
With a common gear configuration, issues like these would be non existent as all divers would be diving the same set-up.
There is some beauty in standardization.

TSandM:

Granted, but I do tend to pay more attention to gear if it looks strange to me. One guy I dove with had something like you describe, it was some sorta Octo/Inflator, and the buttons where blue and red if I remember. I did mess with it just to see how it worked.

If I had to deal with it in an emergency, I agree, I'd likely be pushing one, and watching what happened! :D So I'm not really preaching, as I'd likely be guilty as well!

Speaking of strange stuff, ever seen a HUB. Holy Gizmo Gadgets BatGirl, this thing was strange! Good thing I was not diving with him, I'd still be reading the manual! :rofl3:

I

NWGratefulDiver:
To my concern, scuba equipment manufacturers should implement some standardization when it comes to safety-related devices ... and inflator/deflators are safety-related devices.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Some would argue that a bungee cord, if used for scuba is a safety device! :D

I would tend to agree with standards for Regulators, Tanks Valves, and inflater's. Actually regs and valves are a long way towards being more standard than not. But inflater's are definitely the exception.

Jason B:
Getting back to the original post, I think we just found some more values for DIR in the rec world.
With a common gear configuration, issues like these would be non existent as all divers would be diving the same set-up.
There is some beauty in standardization.

I could make the same argument if everyone used a Zeagle Stiletto with an Octo+, and it would make Scott Zeagle and the folks in FL REALLY HAPPY! :D

DIR != Standardization. One would need something well beyond DIR to standardize the Diving Industry. PADI is actually more in a position to do so. If PADI announced a Standard, would you follow it? :D

RonFrank:
I could make the same argument if everyone used a Zeagle Stiletto with an Octo+, and it would make Scott Zeagle and the folks in FL REALLY HAPPY! :D
And I'd agree with you. Though that gear may not be the best solution, the fact that a standard is applied would be to the good. Anytime we are all using the same gear, doing things the same way and such, we create familiarity which I think is a good think when the SHTF.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom