Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thal, I think you are making the point for a DIR standardized configuration. Your problem with the octo's stemmed from them being in a non-standardized location so a fellow diver did not know where it was located. Your team them decided it was not good to carry an octo, even though every diving certification agency promotes carrying one. Your "scientific" team decided it is better to forgo it and have a diver face the risk of blackout or lung expansion injury by needing to return to the surface from depth on a breath hold.

Personally, I think you need to open your mind that other approaches may have validity to make your dives safer. I am not a DIR diver but when I read their recommendations it makes perfect sense. I cannot say the same about yours and I mean no disrespect.

ams511:
Thal, I think you are making the point for a DIR standardized configuration. Your problem with the octo's stemmed from them being in a non-standardized location so a fellow diver did not know where it was located. Your team them decided it was not good to carry an octo, even though every diving certification agency promotes carrying one. Your "scientific" team decided it is better to forgo it and have a diver face the risk of blackout or lung expansion injury by needing to return to the surface from depth on a breath hold.

Personally, I think you need to open your mind that other approaches may have validity to make your dives safer. I am not a DIR diver but when I read their recommendations it makes perfect sense. I cannot say the same about yours and I mean no disrespect.

You could just be outside his "sphere".

Just going diving would be very best for all. We are working on a good Hawaii trip now.

Under the waves all this discord goes away.

It seems to me this whole post is somewhat rhetoric.

Obviously DIR is going to have more value to technical diver where the standardization of equipment and procedures creates a more safe environment; and to expect new divers to have backplates, expensive halcyon backup lights, leg pockets on drysuits, reels, and long hoses is a bit much.

Great idea for tech diving... a bit pretentious and dramatic for the majority of rec divers IMHO. Recreational divers' time would be better spent taking rescue diving than spending countless hours playing DIR. I do, however, have great respect for the anti-silting techniques like the frog kick.

Frankly, I think it belongs in the DIR forum.

I can't believe this post is still going (nor that there is any value in continuing to have the same discussion again and again).

In short, better communication, in-water skills and air management & planning can only help any diver. And it's possible to have all those things with and without DIR, but it is a focus there from the start.

Maybe it's all too easy.

:)

With more risk comes more need for a standardized approach so in emergency situations, a standardized response will be what's expected.

Some of the things I don't like about alot of the DIR people is the elitest attitude some give off about the stupidest things. For instance, the use of computers... Some other things I really like about the DIR approach to gear settup however, and plan on adapting my rig to them come spring time. Like backup flashlight placement on the harness of my bp/w and putting my octo on a bungi around my neck. I might even dump out the stuff in my console (save the spg) and put it all on my wrists.

I see the advantages, I think the biggest disadvantage unfortantly is some of the people that promote it by bashing anyone that does something differently.

plot:
I think the biggest disadvantage unfortantly is some of the people that promote it by bashing anyone that does something differently.

Yes... absolute. Those DIR whackos are unique that way.

Adobo:
Yes... absolute. Those DIR whackos are unique that way.
I know. Thats why I'm a solo diver.

If we wait 440 posts, it all starts over again, and again, and again... :D

what's worse, this post continues or we're all still reading and replying to it?

JR

JeffG:
I know. Thats why I'm a solo diver.

I thought you were a solo diver because you got banished from the DIR forum.

JeffG:
Its nice that you discount the WKPP record with such ease.

Are you the duty expert on WKPP? It has nothing to do with this tired thread.

Back
Top Bottom