Value of the DIR approach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boulderjohn:
Actually, he has been diving with different groups for many years. I have known him and dived with him for years. He was never like this before.
Okay, maybe he'd been transformed into a DIR-hole, it can happen. There are some "X"-holes in every peer group.

Boulderjohn, sounds like your friend encountered some ideas he found compelling. And maybe because you guys HAVE known each other for years, he felt free to express them to you?

boulderjohn:
II feel that thre is an assumption among a group of people on SB that because I don't look like them I must be a piece of crap who should not be allowed in the same ocean as them.

Hey John,

We have not met which is unfortunate as we live less than an hour apart! :D

You should REALLY try and get down to the Hole with us one of these days. I know, not the most exciting of dive locations, but I always have an enjoyable time.

One reason to go is to hook up with the ABQ crowd down there, Jason being one of them.

They are DIR, and DIR-provisional for the most part. I guarantee that not one of them will judge you by your kit, your fins, or the color of your drysuit! :D They are a great bunch of folks, and I enjoy their company greatly as they are INTO diving. They also run around with more gear than a diveshop between them, and they are generally willing to let people try stuff out! Be careful, this has got me into trouble!

I'm certainly not the worlds best diver, and I have a bad habit of saying what I think regardless of audience :D, so If I can get along with this DIR crowd, I think most are going to find no issue. When Dan first dove with them, his comment to me was, "WOW, I wish I looked like that UW". My response was that he may look more like that then he thinks, but we all have days were we feel that things are just not going well.

As for giving advice about how to dive, I always welcome it. However delivery is key, IOW's I don't do well with advice delivered in a high handed manner. I've not felt that from any of of the DIR divers I've known, but I do know it's out there, the whole I'm right, your wrong attitude. Fortunately I think MOST are not that fanatical, or if they are, they keep that inside.

In any event, someday we need to meet even if it's just over a beer. :cheers:

RonFrank:
They are DIR, and DIR-provisional for the most part.
What is DIR-provisional?

RonFrank:
Hey John,

They are DIR, and DIR-provisional for the most part. I guarantee that not one of them will NOT judge you by your kit, your fins, or the color of your drysuit! :D They are a great bunch of folks, and I enjoy their company greatly as they are INTO diving. They also run around with more gear than a diveshop between them, and they are generally willing to let people try stuff out! Be careful, this has got me into trouble!

I'm certainly not the worlds best diver, and I have a bad habit of saying what I think regardless of audience :D, so If I can get along with this DIR crowd, I think most are going to find no issue. When Dan first dove with them, his comment to me was, "WOW, I wish I looked like that UW". My response was that he may look more like that then he thinks, but we all have days were we feel that things are just not going well.

Actually, I have had a few dives with DIR people, and every one has been a fine person and a great person with whom to dive. They have all had excellent skills. I have said in this thread and elsewhere that if my own diving plans were to shift to include caves and more tehcnical diving, I will be interested in the training myself.

I am pretty confident that I don't need it now, and my concern is with the zealous few who keep insisting I do.

JeffG:
What is DIR-provisional?

I don't know the numbers, but based on what I've read and been told by people who have done DIR-F, it's rare that they pass the class in one shot. Provisional is the status they assign if one does not pass DIR-F, but they don't fail them either. It basically means, work on XYZ, and take the class again within 6 months to pass.

I don't know what happens if one waits longer than six months to get re-evaluated with a provisional status.

RonFrank:
I don't know the numbers, but based on what I've read and been told by people who have done DIR-F, it's rare that they pass the class in one shot. Provisional is the status they assign if one does not pass DIR-F, but they don't fail them either. It basically means, work on XYZ, and take the class again within 6 months to pass.

I don't know what happens if one waits longer than six months to get re-evaluated with a provisional status.
and what does that have to do with DIR?

I think Ron's making the very understandable error of equating passing Fundies with being DIR.

You can be DIR without passing Fundies (I wonder how many WKPP divers have even taken it?) and you can pass Fundies and not decide to keep on with anything you were taught there. And you can get a provisional pass and work very hard on what you were taught.

I would be willing to hazard that the majority of recreational divers who consider themselves as attempting to follow the DIR prescriptions have either taken Fundies, or intend to, though.

TSandM:
I think Ron's making the very understandable error of equating passing Fundies with being DIR.
and now you have taken the fun out me trying to lead him to that conclusion :wink:

But the truth is, I bet the number of real "DIR" divers in the entire world could be counted on one (or two) hands.

I've had dives that were really DIR and then I've had a bunch that were filled with so much strokery that they made great stories over beers.

This preoccupation for calling oneself DIR (or making sure your not) is laughable.

Either do the dive or do not...have fun while you're doing it and try not to hurt yourself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom