Vacation Trip in April Oahu & Maui

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mddolson

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Greetings,
We're in Ontario, Canada with 20- 30 cm (8-12 inches of snow happening today & tomorrow).
I am retiring end of March. My wife & I are taking a long awaited trip to Oahu & Maui.
We'll be on each island for a week.
We plan to do some snorkeling together & I plan to get a few single tank dives in.
I'm a retired instructor & carry a Master Diver & Nitrox C card when I travel on holiday.
I've made many trips to the Caribbean over the last 35 years but this is our first time to the Hawaiian Islands, & we are unfamiliar with the region.
It's not a diving specific vacation. So traveling relatively light.
I'll have snorkeling gear, dive computer, & housing for my camera.
I'll be renting for the scuba dives.
Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Mike Dolson
Naui 4780/Padi 202288 retired)

"Single tank" makes me think you're focusing on shore diving? If that's the case I'd focus more on diving Maui - I think there are more quality shore diving sites there. On Oahu, the North Shore has great shore diving but the swells limit the dive season and might not be gone before you come. After that is the West Side (Makaha, Electric Beach, etc.)

For charters: diving with Extended Horizons on Maui was the best charter experience I've had on these islands so far. They are fun, efficient, safe, and professional, the group size is relatively small, and the diving around Lanai is some of the better diving here. I'd really like to do the Carthaginian wreck with them when I go back.

On Oahu, the best charter diving is off the west side, out of Waianae Boat Harbor.

We liked the shore dive in Lahaina off Mala Wharf.

Maui suggestions really depend on where you're staying - if in Lahaina or north - Extended Horizons - who also guide at Mala since their shop is nearby. The West Lanai drift dives are some of the best - and more advanced dives. I liked the outside of Sharkfin - big drop and thousands of schooling fish. Plus about a dozen white tips picking off stragglers.

In south Maui, Robinson's offers the most advanced dives but there's other good options also. Mike Severn's crew are mostly naturalists. They all go to Molokini so pick one.The Backwall dives are considered the more advanced - live drop, 400' bottom - often you share with the sharks.

It's about a 45 min. drive between the two areas and the Kihei boats all leave around 6am.

We liked the helicopter ride on Maui - they go along the east coast which has no road. Everybody has to drive the road to Hana once - stop at the waterfalls. Lahaina is a fun stroll one afternoon - lots of shops/galleries. Many of the south Maui beaches are also dive sites. Mama's Fish House in Paia is worth the drive over - you can watch the kitesurfers while waiting for a table.
The Kapalua or Wailea courses if you golf. One of the Kapalua courses plays along the ocean.

Thank you for the recommendations. ( we don't golf, but thanks anyway)
I apologize for not stating where we're staying.
We're on Wakiki in Honolulu the first week at the Outrigger reef hotel.
& we're on Kannapali (Aston ot the Whaler) & have a car rental for 2nd week on Maui.
Can be shore or boat dives, but just want a morning or afternoon outing.
Can't just ditch my wife all day while I'm out diving.

The shore dive in Lahaina off Mala Wharf is just 3 miles from where we're staying!
Have seen positive write ups on the Molokini crater cruise/snorkel trips

I will be in Oahu mid April and had written down a recommendation I got here on SB for Kaimana Divers in Honolulu which looks to be close to your location, as well as to where we're staying. Sites that were mentioned were Sea Tiger, Horseshoe, Turtle Canyons, YO-257, Nautilus, and Kewalo Pipe.

Mike

Congrats on retiring. I live and teach on Maui and live in Lahaina. I would be more then happy to dive with you. I dive Mala all the time. You can contact me direct and we can set up a few days to dive while your here. We can start early and you can be back before the wife wakes up.

Mahalo
Scuba Steve
Www.mauidiveconnection.com

Thanks for the recommendations Jon, I'll check into those sites,
We're in Oahu April 13-19 (arrive late on 12th).
Hey Steve, That's awesome, I appreciate the offer.
Some tips on good snorkeling in the area would be great too.
We'll be arriving April 19 around noon, then driving to the Hotel.

I usually dive dry in our local waters, but I have a one piece 3 mm full wetsuit that I use in the Caribbean.
Is that adequate?

I'll PM you with my home email address.
(I doubt we'll get back before my wife gets up though, LOL,
we're 5 hrs ahead of you, & my wife & I are early risers, hopefully we'll be adjusted somewhat after a week in Oahu.)

Really looking forward to this trip.
We're being blasted by what they call a "Colorado low", which just dumped a foot of snow on eastern Canada.

Best regards

Mike D

Thanks for the reply Scottitheduck.
I'll check out your website.
(nice video) I'll PM you also as timing get's closer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom