Va. Tech shooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
airsix:
When I was attending university I didn't carry. I had/have a permit but did not carry on campus for fear of getting kicked out of school if caught. I even worked for campus security doing patrols at night/am and didn't carry because it was against policy and if the CO (campus police) knew I'd lose my job and get kicked out of school. It was enough to deter me.

-Ben

When I was in College, My Coach encouraged us to always have at least a Knife or 5% or lower OC Pepper spray, (lower percentage works faster.) He wished we could carry guns, however we did not have Concealed carry in Ohio yet. Oh Before anyone thinks my coach is some dumb jock, he was the head of the Police academe and was at the time a Captain of the Police.

I'd like to see the reporters interview the gunman's parents:

Reporter: Why did you buy that 22 caliber back in in December 2005 for lil Cho for christmas and that 9 mm back in April 2006 for his b-day ?

Proud Parent: well, he really wanted them. I thought he would shoot his eye or left testy off when we got him the 22...but no.....just shot rabbits, the neighbors' dogs and stuff. So we bought him the 9 mm for aded power.

Reporter: Why the hell did you not just buy him a playstation and some shoot-em-up...bang-em-up video games, instead?

It's a little strange the way it is turning in to a big pep rally...but hey who am I to say? ..whatever works.

pep rally?

yea, at VPI.

they are doing cheers and stuff and chanting....just seems odd to me.

Guess I have been out of Virginia too long.

u bet ya....it was a spoof.

I am going to try to leave the gun control issue alone here, everyone is doing so well without me.

It has been alluded to, but does anyone feel that the "good people" in American society are becoming too passive?

I bring this up because I remembered a news report from Monday concerning an armed robbery from the night before. One of the victims struggled with one of the robbers, and ended up getting shot (wound was not life threatening). A police spokesman basically chastised him for his actions, and said that people shouldn't resist. Is this the attitude that we want to have? Let criminals have their way? Always submit to the bad guy? Certainly, the criminal element does not seem to be growing more passive and gentle, rather the opposite.

Gun control is not an issue I'm going to debate personally, so I'll bring up another one.

Why is it there's talk about a backlash against Asians and Koreans in particular because this murderer happened to be Korean? When it is Caucasian students who do the killing, do people rail against them?

This was a sick individual, and one I will certainly not defend. However, as one who has gone through clinical depression (fortunately decades ago) and knows first hand how the chemical imbalances in the brain can trigger thoughts of killing, I do understand that to some degree he may not have been in control of his faculties. Fortunately my urge to kill was directed inward (even though suicide was the last thing I'd consider a possibility in my life), and not towards others. However, the urges can not only be very real, but quite overpowering.

With that said, this individual needed serious help.

drbill:
Why is it there's talk about a backlash against Asians and Koreans in particular because this murderer happened to be Korean? When it is Caucasian students who do the killing, do people rail against them?

racism, of course

many people are just dying for a member of a race to do something wrong in order to critizice the entire race

nobody was anti-Caucasian when the Columbine killers did their thing, or when Tim McVeigh blew up a bunch of innocent people

that this shooter is Korean has really no bearing on the rest of Korean-Americans in this country. they didn't do anything wrong.

drbill:
Gun control is not an issue I'm going to debate personally, so I'll bring up another one.

This was a sick individual, and one I will certainly not defend. However, as one who has gone through clinical depression (fortunately decades ago) and knows first hand how the chemical imbalances in the brain can trigger thoughts of killing, I do understand that to some degree he may not have been in control of his faculties. Fortunately my urge to kill was directed inward (even though suicide was the last thing I'd consider a possibility in my life), and not towards others. However, the urges can not only be very real, but quite overpowering.

With that said, this individual needed serious help.

Dr. I don't think anyone has mentioned a backlash towards Asians ...however the refernece to "Ismail Ax" on the killers arm is ....suspicious?

Also you don't have to be clinically depressed to have thought s of killing someone...for instance someone burglarized my garage the other night ...got several guitars I had hanging on the wall ..most probably some local tweakers ...when I find out who they are and I will!! they are going to go scuba diving with me ...they are going to get a lesson in decompression theory and deep diving escape proceedures...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom