Va. Tech shooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
catherine96821:
I want to opine some more, thats how I deal.

My opinion is the reason these shootings are increasing, is half the planet is on antidepressants.
Now, if the world looks black to you...there is a reason you don't have any energy and lie in the fetal position, it's a protective mechanism. You don't hurt yourself and you don't hurt others. These medications seem to transform pain to anger.

Same thing with teen suicides...they don't have the energy for a big plan, suicide takes energy. Put them on antidepressants and they now have motivation and the energy to do something.

Not saying the antidepressants are bad overall, maybe they help more people than they hurt...but society is bound to manifest itself differently once you add all these meds.

I have to admit...I am very dissapointed in the police officers peeking out from behind trees. I wonder why several guys did not grab some makeshift shields and charge him? I know it sounds bad but I am most amazed at the lack of action, to be honest.

yea...I don't think it's video games or guns, I think it is prescribed medications.

You are definitely hitting on part of it. Heck back in the 50's and 60's kids use to take their shotguns to school and lean them in the closet or locker, so they could hunt rabbits on the way home. If anyone had thought of doing anything back then everyone would have ganged up and stopped them, ( there was a reason the guy went to the clock tower.) Now, they expelled little girls in Kindergarten for bringing a Winnie the Pooh wallet with a plastic chain attached, because the zero tolerance rules make the plastic chain a weapon. We as a society have become too passive and dependent on others for every thing.

OH-JJ:
or the moronic questions the reports are asking.

no kidding

used to be a brain was required to be a reporter ... now you just have to babble on and on

and their tone ... it's so self-righteously sef-important

"I am standing here with the mother of one of the victims. Is this like a nightmare for you?"

is that the best question you can come up with, you dumb ****?

Blitz:
No greater honor can a person give another then to give his life in denfense of theirs. Very sad.

It would be a happier ending if he could have provided such defense without giving up his life.

I've been sick all day & do not know if this has been posted. It's worth taking note of:

Let's just note one act of heroism amid the horror, as reported by the Jerusalem Post:

Professor Liviu Librescu, 76, threw himself in front of the shooter when the [murderer] attempted to enter his classroom. The Israeli mechanics and engineering lecturer was shot to death, "but all the students lived--because of him," Virginia Tech student Asael Arad--also an Israeli--told Army Radio.

Several of Librescu's other students sent e-mails to his wife, Marlena, telling of how he had blocked the gunman's way and saved their lives, said Librescu's son, Joe.

"My father blocked the doorway with his body and asked the students to flee," Joe Librescu said in a telephone interview from his home outside of Tel Aviv. "Students started opening windows and jumping out."

Librescu was a Holocaust survivor who escaped communist Romania for Israel in 1978 and moved to Virginia in 1986. By coincidence, he was murdered on Holocaust Remembrance Day.

pg 14, but it should be mentioned a lot Stu

H2Andy:
no kidding

used to be a brain was required to be a reporter ... now you just have to babble on and on

and their tone ... it's so self-righteously sef-important

"I am standing here with the mother of one of the victims. Is this like a nightmare for you?"

is that the best question you can come up with, you dumb ****?

Y'know....I don't miss the newspaper business one iota. :shakehead

Do really beleive people don't carry them on campus anyway DavidPT40, down in Orlando, we have had a murder rate through the room lately. I'm a criminal Justice major and my teacher who happens to be an Orlando murder detective certainly encourages gun carrying. As he says its unsafe for a girl to walk across our campus at night unarmed. Your better off shooting someone and getting arrested for carrying the gun on campus, then you are getting shot or raped on campus.

ScubaTexan:
Survived the Holocaust, only to die this way... :116:

A hero TWICE. If I make it to heaven I'd like to shake his hand. His is a life to be celebrated. How many people are alive now because of him? Good thing he wasn't a sniveling crybaby who thinks that in a time of crisis we should put our heads between our legs and hope for someone to come to our rescue (a popular view these days).

-Ben M.

Don't get me wrong; what happened at VA Tech was a tragedy of the first order. 33 people dead in a single day is sad. BUT, in round numbers approximately 110 people died on the US highways yesterday. Because we are used to that kind of carnage and there was very little news coverage we aren't as emotionally affected.

If we want to add in the deaths in other places on the planet many died who we don't mourn.

So, the emotional impact on us, the general public, has a lot to do with the kind of attention the incident gets.

A comment was made earlier that we have become too passive and too willing to "leave it to the experts". I suspect that if more people had followed the lead of the courageous professor maybe there would have been less casualties. But, that is just a supposition and we'll never really know.

As long as mankind has been on the planet we have killed each other in crude and violent ways. My vote ever since an incident in my childhood has been to encourage each person to defend themselves as much as possible. Even the folks on the airplane on 9/11 did that; for the benefit of us all.

May rest be on everyone's souls and families who had loved ones die yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom