Va. Tech shooting

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well....all that stuff is way too political for me to discuss on SB.

As far as the original topic though.....

It's really, really sad that stuff like that happens. Worst of all it's crystal clear that it will happen again...and again....while nothing else changes. While everyone thinks that their own freedoms and rights are more important than stopping some disturbed or deranged person from getting far too easy access to whatever they want, it'll just keep happening.

****MOD POST****

Gentle people, we have asked you several times not to discuss politics- & gun control IS politics, no matter how you slice it. This thread has been cleaned up once already. Please be aware that I have asked for the original mods to pull it for a second cleaning because there are many who are shocked & grieving & may just want to discuss this event. When it comes back, please allow them to do so without derailing this thread with further ToS violations. Take it to PM or another venue better suited to that type of discussion. This thread is closed so that you can all see this warning & until a mod can remove the posts that violate the ToS by discussing gun control. I know it's tough but we thank you in advance for your cooperation.

****MOD POST****

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

This thread is back open for posting. As stated above, please refrain from discussing politics and gun control.

Why is it there's talk about a backlash against Asians and Koreans in particular

where did you hear THAT?

if anything, they are way LESS likely

catherine96821:
where did you hear THAT?

if anything, they are way LESS likely

Generally that comes from racist people on one side or the other being paranoid that the other race is out to get them.

drbill:
Gun control is not an issue I'm going to debate personally, so I'll bring up another one.

Why is it there's talk about a backlash against Asians and Koreans in particular because this murderer happened to be Korean? When it is Caucasian students who do the killing, do people rail against them?

This was a sick individual, and one I will certainly not defend. However, as one who has gone through clinical depression (fortunately decades ago) and knows first hand how the chemical imbalances in the brain can trigger thoughts of killing, I do understand that to some degree he may not have been in control of his faculties. Fortunately my urge to kill was directed inward (even though suicide was the last thing I'd consider a possibility in my life), and not towards others. However, the urges can not only be very real, but quite overpowering.

With that said, this individual needed serious help.

I disagree. He was an evil individual; and a poor playright to boot.

other websites had individuals talking about backlashing against a certain ethnic or heritage group.

There were the good guys on the websites asking those individuals to cool it and explaining how it is wrong To have those attitudes.

Yes you can discuss the shooting without political stuff. First of all becasue it's forbidden here (check ToS) - so just don't discuss about these topics. Second of all the story is more comlex than just gun control - it's about the education system, security of schools, social system, etc.

Also in this thread you could discuss way to help those who survived and probably are now emotional wrecks, how to help families of victims, how to avoid blaming president of the school. You can even discuss why police didn't warn the school after the first shooting - whether they made a mistake or not.

There are many topics to discuss that can be accepted by SB management.

Mania

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom