V-Planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Each diver does full O2 window times (70' and 60') (five minutes minimum per diver is called for), then (since the bottle is now used), you progress across the remaining stops, but you only do normal (i.e. unadjusted) deco times.
Yes that is our plan, has yet to be required.

For me, that's just too much emphasis on the O2 window and not enough on the shallow gradient.

The 50% isn't doing you any good shallow, might as well be on backgas. And at least for multi deco gas this is what happens anyway (i.e. the 30ft stop is the backgas break before going to O2).

This approach is also consistent with the absence of adjustment for pressure gradient offgassing stops (20-10ft) should you run out of 50% for whatever reason.

I have no idea how you'd adjust the O2 time for GUE's approach of doing 75% of the time (each) for the 70-30ft portion of the deco on 50%. Or how you'd adjust the shallow time if you only had 50% for that matter. Although in a snese its similar to the approach I described. 75% of deco on the gas, 1/2 of 75% = 38% via the backgas while you buddy does the time. Sum = 100% of deco for the stop completed. Our approach gives you 150% of the deco completed for each of the sharing stops then some slight de-crediting of the shallow time where only backgas remains.

In T1 was <taught> to double the deco time and reshape into an exponential curve. This is obviously ignoring the option of sharing and totally goes kapooy for multi deco gas dives, so it seems like a poor strategy.

Sharing deep where the shallow EAD of 50% does you the most good in consistent with how we switch to backgas shallower on multi deco gas dives and how you can finish the shallow deco on backgas if you should run out anyway.

Even RossH has agreed that deco really comes down to time waymoreso than shape. I am not concerned about having 0.5x extra (my time on backgas while you do your 50% time) for the 70, 60, 50ft stops and then being on backgas for the 40 and 30ft stops (or all the way to the surface if I only had one deco gas).

Last edited:
Gideon Taught RD with a linear shape. Really his comments were that he didn't care how you shaped it but he preferred linear to keep it simple. I cant tell the difference either so I just stick with linear if the team is ok with it. Of course Im not diving past 180 so take that as you may.

Is 180 a new T1 limit?
Mine was ~160ft max but really the limit was more like ~25mins deco regardless of the depth you accumulated that at - long shallow vs shorter deeper.

The 50% isn't doing you any good shallow, might as well be on backgas. And at least for multi deco gas this is what happens anyway (i.e. the 30ft stop is the backgas break before going to O2).

This approach is also consistent with the absence of adjustment for pressure gradient offgassing stops (20-10ft) should you run out of 50% for whatever reason.

I have no idea how you'd adjust the O2 time for GUE's approach of doing 75% of the time (each) for the 70-30ft portion of the deco on 50%. Or how you'd adjust the shallow time if you only had 50% for that matter. This is the main reason I don't do their lost deco gas procedure and based on your concerns about what to do when you've run out of 50% it seems to be a hole in your own plans as well.

In T1 was <taught> to double the deco time and reshape into an exponential curve. This is obviously ignoring the option of sharing and totally goes kapooy for multi deco gas dives, so it seems like a poor strategy.

Sharing deep where the shallow EAD of 50% does you the most good in consistent with how we switch to backgas shallower on multi deco gas dives and how you can finish the shallow deco on backgas if you should run out anyway.

Even RossH has agreed that deco really comes down to time waymoreso than shape. I am not concerned about having 0.5x extra (my time on backgas while you do your 50% time) for the 70, 60, 50ft stops and then being on backgas for the 40 and 30ft stops (or all the way to the surface if I only had one deco gas).

It's not so much the "kill the bottle at 70-60'" that I don't like but the fact you don't then extend any of the 50-10' stops at all. You already have the back gas reserved, so why not spend some more time shallow?

Is 180 a new T1 limit?
Mine was ~160ft max but really the limit was more like ~25mins deco regardless of the depth you accumulated that at - long shallow vs shorter deeper.

We were told ~160' for up to 30 minutes deco (regardless of depth). I'll do 165', but 180' to me is a two deco bottle dive (RB is quite large if you have to go 110' before you can switch).

It's not so much the "kill the bottle at 70-60'" that I don't like but the fact you don't then extend any of the 50-10' stops at all. You already have the back gas reserved, so why not spend some more time shallow?

I agree depending on exactly what went sideways I would probably extend the shallow stops. How much would have to be a judgement call. Never having had a low or lost deco gas scenario in real life I can't exactly say what I would do from my armchair. :D

For "big" dives we bring safety divers with spare gas to provide yet another layer of security to avoid this. For me big = >60mins deco gas time.

We were told ~160' for up to 30 minutes deco (regardless of depth). I'll do 165', but 180' to me is a two deco bottle dive (RB is quite large if you have to go 110' before you can switch).

switch at 110ft?

180' to 70' switch = 110'

:)

Oh roger. Yeah and once you start extending deep stops into the 2 min range RB just keeps climbing too...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom