V-Planner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not a member (that I know of). I've take a few courses, though, and you'd hope that actual students would be given some of this (especially as relates to SOP) and not just those signed up for a membership. It's unclear how many of these changes would affect non-GUE divers...

I can definitely understand that. I have the basic electronic membership mainly to have access to the quest list and the Quest magazine. Most of the emails are pretty mundane, but there have been some very interesting topics since I've been on it.

I assume that GUE believes that their former and current students have at least a basic membership and that communicating via the quest list is adequate.

Why students aren't also given an automatic one year membership is also beyond me...

But enough with hijacking my own post!

I agree that the 15/30 second slide/move is pretty nit picky. There are still plenty of people with bottom timers that do not have second timers. As far as the "if o2 is available" statements, there would be dives where you're only using 50% and o2 isn't needed. That's how I took it anyways.

30 second slide/30 second stop just means a 10 fpm ascent rate. 45 second slide/15 second stop or 15 second slide/45 second stop, are both 10 fpm average ascent rates.

30 second slide/30 second stop just means a 10 fpm ascent rate. 45 second slide/15 second stop or 15 second slide/45 second stop, are both 10 fpm average ascent rates.

The SOP document prescribes 15 second slide, 15 second pause for 15 minutes of deco or less. (20 fpm)

Gentlemen, (and Richard)

If you were to wish to standardize procedures and policies across the variables of time and distance within an organization such as GUE, what is easier than publishing an SOP? The military has used this approach for about as long as they have been around and no one has accused them of being less than consistent for as long as I can remember. Simply collecting all the standard operating procedures in one document in a vertically integrated organization seems to me to be a very effecient use of resources. You want to know how something is done? Check the SOP.

As for the ascent rates and changes to deep stop timings, some of the more recent literature suggests that deep stops as most people know them are not so beneficial on short dives. Hence the shortening of deep stop timings on shorter decompression dives.

To quote from "Decompression and Deep Stops" by Christian R. Gutvik in Quest, Vol 9, No, 3: p. 17
" From our findings, it seems that the deep stops are not so beneficial on the short dives", and "Our current hypothesis is that deep stops are primarily beneficial on the longer dives, but not on the short dives"

Now if everyone just signed up for Quest...............;-)

Gentlemen, (and Richard)

Arf arf!

If you were to wish to standardize procedures and policies across the variables of time and distance within an organization such as GUE, what is easier than publishing an SOP? The military has used this approach for about as long as they have been around and no one has accused them of being less than consistent for as long as I can remember. Simply collecting all the standard operating procedures in one document in a vertically integrated organization seems to me to be a very effecient use of resources. You want to know how something is done? Check the SOP.

Bismark I do think you're onto something here...
The SOP does have a "military intelligence" kinda linguistic style to it :wink:

As for the ascent rates and changes to deep stop timings, some of the more recent literature suggests that deep stops as most people know them are not so beneficial on short dives. Hence the shortening of deep stop timings on shorter decompression dives.

To quote from "Decompression and Deep Stops" by Christian R. Gutvik in Quest, Vol 9, No, 3: p. 17
" From our findings, it seems that the deep stops are not so beneficial on the short dives", and "Our current hypothesis is that deep stops are primarily beneficial on the longer dives, but not on the short dives"

Now if everyone just signed up for Quest...............;-)

Or you can just do what we started years ago after listening to Ross H's rather well reasoned arguments against 80% of ATAs and just use a value closer to 2ATAs. We use 50ft and its remarkably straightforward and scales across almost all the deco we do (~90ft to 220ft). It is also just below (by maybe 8ft) the start of offgassing in V-planner and deco planner. The 30secs we spend there is pretty trivial and its basically just a pause allowing us to get collected.

You can't linger on the deep stops anyway. You can see this by planning "forcing" a profile with deep stops in V-planner. Then (for e.g. a Tech1 dive) extend the 100ft deep stop to 2 or 3 mins and watch how much time will get added shallow.

Odd that this also wasn't sent to all students. Seriously, how hard would that be?

Cause some of us are grumpy old SOBs! :lotsalove:

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I wanted to relay some things in the Tech 1 level that I just learned in my GUE Tech 1 class that kind of relates. Apparently some things changed recently and I dont know if the SOP doc is current but Gideon was in Florida before coming out to do the Tech 1 class and here are the changes that were relayed to him.

Ascent rate for Tech 1 level dives.
30ft/per minute from bottom to 75% of depth.
20ft/per minute from 75% depth to first gas switch.

Change in calculating rock bottom time.
2 mins at bottom for emergency
30ft/per minute from bottom to 75% of depth
20ft/per minute from 75% depth to first gas switch
2 mins at gas switch depth for switch

lost deco change.

lost 70' bottle
dont change the intermediate deco stop times but do switch off from back gas to buddies deco reg every 10 feet. Double the shallow deco times and continue to switch from back gas to buddies deco reg every 5 mins.

lost '20 bottle
Double the shallow deco times and continue to switch from back gas to buddies deco reg every 5 mins.

I dont think this is new but it was new to me. When doing Tech 1 with a 20' bottle or doing Tech 2 dives do all o2 deco at 20ft with the last 6 minutes as a 3 feet per minute accent to the surface from 20. Known as "6 and up".

Hope I remembered everything right!

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom