Uwatek Smartcom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Brad B

Reaction score
I just wanted to give any Uwatek Smartcom owners out there a heads up about a problem with some of the units. Last week my LDS called me and told me he had heard from another area LDS of several instances where an air leak developed at the quick connect/disconnect. Sure enough, on my second dive on Sunday it started bubbling.I have about 15 dives on this computer so it took a while for the problem to manifest itself. Supposedly it has something to do with faulty o-rings and a special tool is required to get at it.I'm just glad I was on a day trip and this didn't happen on one of the three day spearfishing trips I do 90 miles out in the Gulf of Mexico.If you have this computer I would suggest you talk to your LDS before you get a screwed up trip like me.Unfortunately, the LDS might not be aware of the problem because at the time I talked to my LDS ScubaPro had not issued any info about this to their dealers.

I have been looking at the SmartCom at my LDS and kidding them about the one in the case being mine, when I finally get the money. Well, one of the employees took it out for a "test drive" lately and the quick connect sprung a leek in the o-ring and they called ScubaPro and got the answer that they were working on fixing this. They even said they might quit making the SmartCom without the quick connect if they can't find a fix for the problem. What does that do for the people who have the originals? Are they going to recall all the first ones, or what?

I will probably still buy a SmartCom because I like the computer anyway. I hope though that they figure out how to keep the quick connect because I like the idea of not having to take my gear apart every time I need to separate the computer from the reg, for whatever reason. I know one more point for a possible problem, but I still like the idea.

emeyer36

Has there been any updates on the leaking problem? My Dad has this computer and also has this porblem. We went to Blue Grotto on sunday and his keaked on all three dives. It didn't seem to affect air consumption though.
What posssible problems can occur with the unit leaking and has ScubaPro done anything to fix the leak at the quick disconnect? Any help would be very helpful.

Things have been crazy lately, so I haven't heard the latest on the problem with the leaking quick disconnect on the SmartCom. If I get a chance to check by the LDS and find out what's new, I will reply with any info I get.

emeyer36

emeyer36,

Thanks for posting back. I am waiting patiently for any news you can find:)

I own the Smart Com and its an awesome computer. I did experience the bubble/Air leak problem from the quick disconnect after 30 dives.

FYI, SCUBA Pro is aware of the problem, because I have 2 of the disconnect hoses (1 backup) maintenanced. If you don't already all know this, the actual disconnect on the hose, not the unit itself has 2 O-Rings, there is a stem which plugs into the unit in the hose. Beneath that stem lies one of the O-Rings.

SCUBA Pro is changing out this black O-Ring with a purple colored O-Ring that is denser and better fitting. PROBLEM FIXED. The old O-Ring was so soft and mushy that it would migrate from out that little microscopic hole surrounding the stem, and pop out and get chewed up.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks Jackknife, I will pass on the information to my father.

He already called the LDS to get a second hose. Hopefully it will have the purple O-ring.

Thanks again!!!!

We have 2 smart coms and one of them had that problem after
about 3 days of diving. As for the air consumption, the orifice in the high pressure hose is so miniscule so you usually wont lose much air through it. It is good to know that they have a new fix for this since I began to notice the o-ring in the other computer starting to get deformed.

- ayman

imagine if you buy these via the internet from unauthorized SP dealers

I don't personally think a quick-disconnect on a HP hose is ever a good idea. Just really isn't worth the advantage of having it in my opinion. If I want to disconnect my cobra, I'll unscrew the hose and put a hp plug in my mk20. Some people mention being able to remove it to keep people from stealing it... well, what about you regs? They're almost as valuable and oftentimes more valuable. As far as downloading info, I'm sure I do more downloads than almost anyone on this board. Five or more a day sometimes since I do this to test interfaces and if I've been diving I just lay my regs in the floor and have my cobra on my lap. If I haven't been or don't plan on diving for a while, my cobra is usually no attached to my 1st stage. Just really seems like the potential for problems outweighs the benefits of having it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom