Beqa Island for the first time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wlecyt40

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife and I are traveling to Fiji with our LDS in May 2025, (I know; it's a long ways off!) but we would like to hear about the experiences anyone on here has had there. We are staying at the Beqa Lagoon Resort. Any info you can supply would be great! This is a once in a lifetime trip for us.

Thank you!

Are you sure it's not Beqa Lagoon Resort? A Beqa Bay doesn't come up when I google it.

Anyway, my wife and I were at Beqa Lagoon Resort in 2019 and loved it. The diving is great and had some of the most colorful reefs I've seen. Lots of sea life to see. The shark dive is very well worth doing.

Getting from the airport in Nadi to Beqa Island is a 3 hour ride plus a 45-60 minute boat ride but at least you get to see some pretty scenery on the way. There are no roads on Beqa Island and the only electricity on the island is by either generator or solar panels. Be sure to do some of the afternoon excursions like the hike to the waterfall and to the local village. It gives you a true appreciation of the life the natives live there.

If it is in indeed Beqa Lagoon Resort you'll be at, the food was very good. The rooms are far nicer than we expected and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. And make sure you experience the Kava ceremony.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. It is quite the experience.

It is Beqa Lagoon
Are you sure it's not Beqa Lagoon Resort? A Beqa Bay doesn't come up when I google it.

Anyway, my wife and I were at Beqa Lagoon Resort in 2019 and loved it. The diving is great and had some of the most colorful reefs I've seen. Lots of sea life to see. The shark dive is very well worth doing.

Getting from the airport in Nadi to Beqa Island is a 3 hour ride plus a 45-60 minute boat ride but at least you get to see some pretty scenery on the way. There are no roads on Beqa Island and the only electricity on the island is by either generator or solar panels. Be sure to do some of the afternoon excursions like the hike to the waterfall and to the local village. It gives you a true appreciation of the life the natives live there.

If it is in indeed Beqa Lagoon Resort you'll be at, the food was very good. The rooms are far nicer than we expected and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on. And make sure you experience the Kava ceremony.

I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. It is quite the experience.
It is the Beqa Lagoon Resort. I fixed the original post.

Though I haven't been to Beqa Lagoon Resort (BLR), I am going to Fiji next year and have researched BLR for the shark dives. From what I've read, BLR is in poor condition with some facilities like A/C and hot water not working, rental gear in bad shape, mold in the rooms, and dive safety is lacking. BLR is known for the shark dive and not reef diving. Perhaps by 2025, they will have improved their facilities and dive operation, but it's not somewhere I'm going to book for a bucket list vacation. There are some threads here on SB about BLR that might help, and you can read more on TripAdvisor, booking.com, oyster.com.

The nearby Waidroka Resort is supposed to be much better and it's just down the road.

@wlecyt40

Beqa lagoon was the first area in Fiji opened up for diving off the main island of Viti Levu (where the international flights come in). Because of this, the dive sites are some of the oldest in Fiji, meaning they have had more divers on them then many other sites.
Some are (still) in great shape, a few are showing the wear and tear of having dozens of divers. day after day, year after year for ~30 years dive on them. Beqa Lagoon Resort is similar - some of the rooms have been refurbished, look great, etc. - others show their age a little bit.

Beqa lagoon still has a very healthy marine ecosystem, not quite as wild as it once was, but still very good. Most would not put it in the 3-4 dive areas in Fiji, but still very much in that top 10. Just remember that to see the very best of Fiji's reefs you need current (the soft coral feeds in the current), so you need to be comfortable on drift dives, etc. to really see the best stuff the area has to offer.

Last - as mentioned above, Beqa is famous for it's shark dive. This is a unique shark feeding dive that brings in rather rotund bull sharks and the occasional tiger shark. Tourists from all over the world come to Fiji to experience this dive, and it will be happening (at least 2x week) near you - staying at the resort you will have ample opportunities to join this dive. If you like big sharks it can be an exciting dive... if you don't like the idea of them being baited in, then don't join this particular dive.

If this is truly a once in a lifetime trip, enjoy it. However, Fiji (both the diving and the friendly people) tend to make you want to return after that first trip... my wife and I have been to Fiji 6 times, and we're planning one more return trip in the near future.

I was a Beqa Lagoon Resort a few weeks ago following a week at another resort on a different island--Paradise Taveuni. I would happily return for another visit to Paradise Taveuni; I would not return to BLR.

I dived in Beqa Lagoon (from the main island) 22 years ago. I was quite saddened by the amount of deterioration of the coral there. I went back to check my log book to make sure I wasn't imagining the difference. Back then I wrote about spiraling around the bommies, looking at great coral and reef fish all the way to the top. Now on many of them, you won't see any life to speak of until you get to the top 25 feet or so. At one site there was next to no life at all.

At BLR, I ran into two people who were longtime visitors there, going back to the 1990's. Both really liked it there, obviously, but both volunteered that it used to be a whole lot better. They said current ownership has let things slide. I think an example would be their response to an incident.

It rained pretty much every day we were there, and one evening I had to go back to my room at the start of dinner time. The place is spread out, and my room was about 200 yards away from the main area. It was raining, with low, dark clouds, and when I came to the place where I had to walk across a walkway over a long koi pond, I was concerned to see that the walkway lights were out. It was pitch dark. I could make my way across for a while because low palm trees on each side of the walkway meant there were palm fronds on each side at head level.

Then there were no palm fronds, and it was as dark as a cave. I knew the walkway went left, but I couldn't see a thing. There was no hand rail. There was a low rope along the side, and I reached for it for guidance. I stepped too close to the edge and fell in, draped over the rope with my right leg in the pond and my left leg twisted on the walkway. I managed to pull myself up to the deck using the rope, and I crawled on my hands and knees to the end of the walkway. My sandal broke in the fall, my left knee was mildly sprained, and I had an abrasion on the knee.

I returned to the main area using a longer path around the koi pond, and as soon as I told the rest of my group what happened, one of them went to the office and told the staff what had happened to me. We ate dinner, after which there was entertainment--fire dancers. (They were good.) Then the manager came to me to talk about the incident, and she walked with me back to my room, again using the long way around the koi pond. The next day the manager told me that after she left me at my room, she went to the koi pond to look, and she said that it was indeed pitch black, so she went to the maintenance people to do something about it. They said the rain must have tripped a breaker, and they flipped it back to put the lights on.

What's the point of that story? Their office staff was notified early in the evening that the lights over the koi pond were out, it was pitch black out, and a guest had fallen into the pond and been injured. Two hours later, absolutely nothing had been done about it. My experience at Paradise Taveuni convinces me that if we had had a similar situation there, things would have been entirely different. They would have showed that they cared.

Glad you didn't hurt yourself worse, John. I am not laughing at the imagery, I swear. I have good memories of BLR from 17 years ago. I recall reading at least one previous trip report within the last few years that suggested the place had gone downhill.

Back
Top Bottom