Shearwater Petrel 3 Not Detecting Swift Transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Naufal

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I had a problem where my computer not detecting my swift transmitter. Previously, I had no problem with detecting the transmitter. After several firmware updates, which during the time I haven't had the chance to dive and test, the problem arise.

I brought the computer and transmitter to my local dive shop (authorized shearwater distributor). They tried to pair the transmitter with Teric computer, no issue.

That's when we sort of pin point that the computer was the issue, not the transmitter. They did a setting reset, and re-pair the transmitter. The transmitter then, can be connected, but, it can't update the reading. The reading stuck at initial reading.

I've sent an email about this to Shearwater. But I figured I tried my luck here if any of you guys faced and solved the problem.

I had the idea to revert back to previous firmware, but I can't find the instruction in the website on how to revert to old firmware.

Computer : Petrel 3 FW: V95
Testing Computer : Teric (unknown details)

Regards,

Naufal

Your best bet is to work with Shearwater.

have you tried a different transmitter with your computer? Have you tried a different computer with this transmitter?

Your best bet is to work with Shearwater.

have you tried a different transmitter with your computer? Have you tried a different computer with this transmitter?

I've sent an email for this, hope to get a good response.

I've tried different computer with this transmitter. Works fine.

I haven't tried different transmitter with this computer. I could try and gather more data.

I've sent an email for this, hope to get a good response.

I've tried different computer with this transmitter. Works fine.

I haven't tried different transmitter with this computer. I could try and gather more data.
Sounds like the shop called it right, I hope shearwater gets back to you soon, let us know what they say.

Sounds like the shop called it right, I hope shearwater gets back to you soon, let us know what they say.
Yeap, shearwater has replied and they instruct to go through RMA process.

They informed it could be the receiver/antenna issue for my computer.

I'll update here once I go through the process. Perhaps it could benefit others for this.

I know it has been awhile since my last update for this case. Main reason is after RMA process, I haven't had the time to properly test the computer. Because it was off dive season in my country. Only a few months ago, I managed to test it out in the pool. After that, I totally forgotten about it.

So as promised, I wanted to update about it. Thinking it might benefit others.

I've sent the computer for RMA sometime in early Aug 23. I've sent the computer through the shop that I purchased the computer from. They were helpful, shout out to the Living Ocean team.

Contacted Shearwater for the update. They were very helpful and friendly. It was a "material defect" and previously they said it was probably due to AI antenna problem. Probably it was the antenna defect.

My computer was still under warranty so they don't charge the cost. I've tried to ask the possible cost of repair if it were out of warranty, which they don't want to disclose.

The overall duration took about 2 weeks plus.

I've tested it out, and it is working fine now.

So in summary, if this problem happens, confirmed that the swift transmitter working fine, you need to send it out for a repair. :)

Hope this will benefit others.

I had similar with one of my Teric's, about 2 years old, it was an AI antenna issue, fixed by Shearwater auth service centre. Mine failed on a dive, and I knew it wasn't the Swifts as my other Teric was reading them fine.

Back
Top Bottom