Uwatec Smartcom or Sherwood Wisdom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

siralek88

Reaction score
Im lookin for a divin computer a could keep for somtetime. i dont want anythin to expensive but i favor quality. And the Wisdom sounds great, but also people at my dive shop were tellin me about the smartcom, but they had all those problems last year and stuff. any suggestions would be great i really have no clue here :06:

The Wisdom is easier to use with a simpler and more intuitive interface and offers great readibility in the water. We have had divers with Smartcoms dump them and replace them with Wisdoms but not the other way around and I think that says a lot.

The Wisdom is also fully user adjustable without the need to use and interface with a PC as is the case with the Smartcom. And it has a readily available, inexpensive user replaceable battery. And you can replace the battery in the middle of a diving day and not lose any N2 or O2 loading information.

Battery replacement is free to the original owner with a Smartcom, but you have to send it in. The used market value of a Smartcom is also less as the cost of battery replacement to anyone other than the original owner is outrageous running $250 to $400 depending on the model.

I agree... between the two, the Wisdom is easier to use, less expensive, and has a larger display. The other option - would be the Aeris AI which is really the same computer turned on its side. I like the side viewing of the Aeris slightly better than the Wisdom. On the Wisdom, the biggest numbers are the remaining air... on the Aeris, it's remaining time - based on either nitrogen loading, O2 loading, or air.

The wisdom is very easy to use and everything is easy to read on the screen. ive had it for a while now and i like it. it a lot cheaper than the smartcom so thats a plus.

Hi guys, Im a newbie here, so hello to all from Chris! I was also considering purchasing one of these two units this winter. What about PC downloads; are they both infrared capabe? Also, seeing as how the uwatec must be sent in for battery replacement, how long does a battery last versus the batt. in the wisdom?

The Wisdom uses a port in the side of the computer rather than infared which is a big improvement.

I have about 100 dives on my current Wisdom and it is still on it's first battery. Normally I do a mid-season change whether it needs it or not, but I am curious how long it will last.

The uwatec uses a larger battery but how long it lasts depends to some degree how it is used. I suspect 3-4 years would be reasonable for most people to expect for battery life and it would be a lot longer for the occassional traveling diver who only dives during 1-2 trips per year.

Back
Top Bottom